Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boat valuations

Re: Boat valuations

I would chose your 5.9m hull over the new 6.2 haines traveller hull any day - haines are killing the seafarer. I upgraded to a 6m victory near on 2yrs ago now and would only look at hulls made by lindsay fry even though I could have bought new. I also was looking at new 575 cc as well. I looked at a few older victorys before I found the 2004 one I have now. Most people looking at your boat would be up grading and know what they are after in a boat. And to have a well looked-after hull with extras, will only create more interest - in my experience. It is easy for other people to put a price on someone else's things. When selling my old 5.5 seafarer vogue I took it to a well known 2nd hand boat yard and asked them what they thought it was worth and what % they took on consignment - I smiled and said no thanks, as I knew I would get more than that. As it turned out, I ended up almost $5000 bucks more than they valued it at. I guess what I'm trying to say is you know what $$$$ you want for it put that price on it and wait for the right buyer to come along and if it doesn't sell you end up with a boat in the north and one in the south -sounds pretty good to me!
    cheers mick
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Thanks for the responces guys, Mal i am based in the North West coast of Tassie, do a lot of diving around here, only about 10 minutes and we are in the water! we do alright on the crayfish and abalone and do a few trips to the far north west i will try to put some photos up, the islands around there are fantastic and you may see 3 or 4 other boats all weekend! Just make sure the weather is good! There are some real good snapper around there as well, Got a nice yellowfin down the east coast over easter (78kg) So Tassie is good for the warmer months and yes lucky enough to head up north for a few months when it gets cold(about now) It is a dan hard decision to sell the seafarer and after reading your thought now its even harder!!!lol Anyway as i said thanks for your views Regards Mark

Quote Originally Posted by hilta1 View Post
    Thanks for the responces guys, Mal i am based in the North West coast of Tassie, do a lot of diving around here, only about 10 minutes and we are in the water! we do alright on the crayfish and abalone and do a few trips to the far north west i will try to put some photos up, the islands around there are fantastic and you may see 3 or 4 other boats all weekend! Just make sure the weather is good! There are some real good snapper around there as well, Got a nice yellowfin down the east coast over easter (78kg) So Tassie is good for the warmer months and yes lucky enough to head up north for a few months when it gets cold(about now) It is a dan hard decision to sell the seafarer and after reading your thought now its even harder!!!lol Anyway as i said thanks for your views Regards Mark
    I guess you mean Three Hummock, Hunter and Robbins Islands, do you launch out of Smithton or Montague?

I understand the Easterly wind can cause big dramas coming back to the Duck River!

Mal you know the area well! Yes launch from Montague but have got permission to launch out of Woolnorth, i stay clear of the Duck, it is unprotected in an Easterly but out of Montague Robbins etc protects all the way back to the boat ramp, We went down about a month ago but on a full moon, the current was ripping, i reckon it was close to 8 knots!!!! The hose on the compressor was Humming!!!! Are you from down this way??? Is one of the prettiest places around on the right day.

Quote Originally Posted by hilta1 View Post
    Mal you know the area well! Yes launch from Montague but have got permission to launch out of Woolnorth, i stay clear of the Duck, it is unprotected in an Easterly but out of Montague Robbins etc protects all the way back to the boat ramp, We went down about a month ago but on a full moon, the current was ripping, i reckon it was close to 8 knots!!!! The hose on the compressor was Humming!!!! Are you from down this way??? Is one of the prettiest places around on the right day.
    I've got some mates that live at Circular Head and have done a few runs out to the islands over the years, while staying with them.

For the other members who don't know the area hilta1 is referring to, the "islands" used to be a favourite fishing location for Cam Strahan. He used to do the crossing from the Victorian coast, across Bass Strait in a modified 23' Formula to poach abalone. Some may remember the famous chase across the Strait involving a marine police cat and a helicopter filming the action.