Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum sealers - whats the go?

Bronze Member

Vacuum sealers - whats the go?

Been thinking of getting a vacuum sealer to keep my fish a bit better in the freezer. I noticed an add by Pacfood in fishing world magazine the other day so I checked out their website. They have a base model for $100 and better model for about $300 plus they sell bulk lots of the bags. Has anybody tried one of these and what have they been like?

Is it worthwhile going down the vacuum sealer route?

Can anybody recommend any other brand of vacuum sealer that they have themselves.

Thanks in advance
    Twosheds

Re: Vacuum sealers - whats the go?

i can reccomend them even for sealing meats they dont get freezer burnt etc. i have one of the sealers from the good guys for about 5-6 years now and have never had a problem. The bags are readily available from target,harvey norman,retra vision, the good guys so no need to go online and purchase and wait for delivery etc.

Lucas

Bought one off ebay (Bigland brand). Been great. Works well

I've got a cryovac at work, I use it for all my meat when going camping. It saves water getting into stuff in the esky. But as said above it will stop food from getting freezer burnt.

Fish doesn't last long enough in my freezer to warrant cryovac.

I do have one though, for red meats and certain baits.

We will take soups to Fraser in Cryovac this year.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Hi
    I have had one for a few years now. Highly recommend them. We do all our meat for camping and also some of the vegies in portions. I have a Sunbeam from good guys. The only thing i have found is the price of the bags. I think it has something to do with the thickness of the plastic as to how they seal or don't seal. Have a look around and price the cost of the bags and then make up your mind.

Great for all kinds of stuff-- meat, soups, vegies, biscuits.

Ronnie

One unexpected use for us is resealing lollies and chip bags...

Using the same bag they came in.... Either Seal Only or before the vacume has crushed the chips hit cancel then the seal keeps em fresh for next time.

I contemplated one of these awhile ago, but I get excellent results using snap lock bags. I just add the fish fillets and seal both ends of the snap lock - leaving a small gap open in the middle. Then just push/suck out the air and seal the last bit of the snap lock. A sandwich size bag holds a fair amount of fish, and a 'large sandwich' size full of fillets will feed an army. No freezer burn and good as new when thawed.

PS - i like to put my fillets strait into the bag out of a bucket of seawater, whilst they are still dripping wet. I think this helps keep them moist during thawing.

You can also use them to seal up a greased set of bearings for the trailer. Makes it easier to do a swap on the side of the road.

Simple but not as tough as good cryo bag but works for us.

I use the reuseable vacume bags and little hand pump. Put meat inside a normal freezer bag and then inside the Vac bag and pump away. As ther freezer bag is there the vac bags never get smelly and a quick handwash and ready to go again. Semifreeze stuff first so it is firm and doesn't get squashed.

No electricity ( if we have a heap we just suck em down with the dyson) and resealable for fresh foods and camping when you just want a portion. We can buy fresh meat and vac it down on the road.

I am surprised just how much we use em and they have lasted well for the last 2 years. they look like these but prices are different everywhere.

http://amazeproducts.com.au/products...rlock/airlock/

these look Ok but I haven't used them

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/64-Ziploc...item1e6c57f23e

the sunbeam ones are great and don't cost a ridiculous amount either

Use one for fish, meat, bait - reuse bags and even for bread - missus needs Gluten free bread (costs the earth) and we put 2 slices per bag, hit the seal button just as it start to compress and it is fine. I haven't tried the bearings trick but now will give that a go.

I have found that some of the different brands require a little pressure on the lid to work but overall don't have a problem. Also found smooth side down works better in most cases. Online rolls and bags are half the price of the sunbeam ones.
    Last edited by Dignity; 22-05-2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: missed a few words

Use ours for fish, smoked fish and meats, left over biscuits, soups, etc, etc. Got it from Aldi a few years ago.

I vac pac everything I smoke that isn't eaten straight away. Usually have the shelf of the fridge full of all sorts of goodies ready to heat and eat.

You can also save a heap on your meat bill. Buy whole rib fillets, or any cryovac meat, and then slice up one and vac pac in packs of two. Will last for months in the fridge and you just grab a pack as needed, no need to freeze. Save forgetting to defrost something and tastes better if not frozen and microwave defrosted.

If doing soups or stews just half freeze first, then vac pac
    Last edited by Ausfish; 22-05-2012 at 05:42 PM.

I just checked and have the sunbeam. I vac packed some tools for the boat if I ever need them they won't be rusty and all I do is cut the bag open. I did have to vacuum seal it twice though. Just checked tools no rust 2 years later.

Hi
    That hand vac one that cormorant suggested from amaze looks the go. Especially if you are travelling and don't have electricity.

There's some great ideas surfacing here as well.

I forgot to mention to that frozen stuff seams to work better when you seal it. I freeze meat and fish in zip lock bags then if we are going camping I vac seal it in the proper bags.

Ronnie