Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Vacuum sealers - whats the go?

Re: Vacuum sealers - whats the go?

Some great posts in this thread. Keep an eye out for them at garage sales as they come up from time to time and you'll probably be able to get one for $10!

All the Aldi lovers is it the Ilumina brand that you buy as that is the one I have the most trouble with, I find that after about a month the seals seem to let go in the freezer. The food packaging people at Maroochydore as above will sell you a better machine for about $90 + GST and if you want one that will go for about 2 hours straight before it needs a rest they do have one for about $260+GST. It is one of the best around.

Ive been doing some experiementing with mine and Ive come to the conclusion that pre freezing/chilling fish and other soft foods is the way to go. Stopping the suction and sealing before it crushes is a bit hit and miss and if you miss, stuff gets crushed! Last night I put some cooked rice in a small rectangle takeaway container, it crushed the container and the rice would have been a solid pulpy mess if it was left like that for more than a few mintues.
    I have the Italian made Unika Effenne.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancair View Post
    Ive been doing some experiementing with mine and Ive come to the conclusion that pre freezing/chilling fish and other soft foods is the way to go. Stopping the suction and sealing before it crushes is a bit hit and miss and if you miss, stuff gets crushed! Last night I put some cooked rice in a small rectangle takeaway container, it crushed the container and the rice would have been a solid pulpy mess if it was left like that for more than a few mintues.
    I have the Italian made Unika Effenne.
    I have the same Unika machine, it is great with a 5 year warranty but you pay for quality.You can get them from Munro direct @ Burleigh or like me get one at the camping shows with other containers and bags etc.