Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum sealers - whats the go?

Re: Vacuum sealers - whats the go?

Hi
    Many tips out there on the uses of vac pacs. I didn't mention that i also pack my bait . We buy a box of pillies and put about 6 in each bag.
    I use zippy bags for this-- one inside the other to get the thickness and cut the zippy bits off or they don't seal. Also use it for squid and mullet. Saves the other stuff in the esky getting smelly. Easy to grab out the freezer and just take as many bags as you think you'll use.

Lancair-- let us know how you go. Even try it with the zippy bags-- one inside the other just to see what happens.

Ronnie

I just bought this one last week, it is the high end model and I highly recommend it....we buy bulk meat and poultry etc and vac seal it then freeze it....meats etc keep for up to 3 years frozen....you can also vac seal so many other things in it. I have a friend that has the same model and been using it heavily for years with no problems, he has cows and slaughters then vac seals it all.

The bags are much cheaper on ebay and do the same job

http://www.billyguyatts.com.au/sunbe...80-vs7800.html

SS
    My goal for 2015 is to accomplish the goals of 2014 which I should have done in 2013 because I made a promise in 2012 which I planned on keeping back in 2011.

3 years????? oh hell not at normal household freezer temps.

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    3 years????? oh hell not at normal household freezer temps.
    I've often wondered about that..... I suspect that the freezer time limits are more about quality than safety. I could be wrong but I would think that there is more microbial activity in the ten minutes prior to putting it in the freezer than in the 3 years after its frozen.

However there are chemical changes that happen to food in a freezer... Primarily oxidation. So vacuum sealing would massively reduce that and hence might extend storage limit markedly.

But all that is just my suppositions based on little knowledge..... A dangerous thing!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339198769.262584.jpg
    Run from a 150 watt cup holder inverter from car. When fish is wet I hit the seal button twice to melt through the moisture. I keep a towel to keep wiping the juice from the machine. Works a treat
    Cheers Murf

We used one up at Stanage to portion our fish. As Murf said they run fine on a 150w inverter. I have a cheap Cabelas model that seems to work fine and got some cheap rolls from Aldi last time they were on special
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

They are great left over roast strait into cryovac bag into freezer then to reheat put into a pot of boiling water meat comes out just as good as when it was cooked use the machine for everything my favroite kitchen utensil

Quote Originally Posted by shy guys View Post
    They are great left over roast strait into cryovac bag into freezer then to reheat put into a pot of boiling water meat comes out just as good as when it was cooked use the machine for everything my favroite kitchen utensil

My favorite kitchen utensil is the wife...... Cooks and cleans,......

Well after a few more attempts to get the donated machine to work, I gave up.
    I bought a new one online, not the cheapest (after too many cheap purchases and crap products) but not a commercial model either.

I have a question, the instructions recomend pre-freezing fresh fish on a tray for up to 24hrs before vac sealing and freezing for long term storage. Obviously some people dont do this. (after seeing the pics of people using them on a beach from an inverter)

What do you do with fresh snapper fillets ?

Lancair

At home we chill stuff right down till firm just so the vac doesn't suck it flat and it stays it's original size. Some of them really do vac down hard and other ones are adjustable. It just holds it's shape firm so it has the same shape when defrosted. If fresh and soft just don't suck the hell out of it. The reason they say to prechill is so no liquid gets in the seal or gunks up the system. some people use paper towels to dry fresh stuff to that doesn't happen as liquids start that crystalisation that starts freezer burn if any air gets in. .

Ive just done exactly that, just now, chilled it right down till nice and firm, then vac bagged the fillets. Its my fist time using this machine (on fresh fish) and it vac's down hard, so Im glad I did.

If its vaccing down too hard you can hit cancel as it gets to the point you want then hit 'seal only' to make the seal.

I do that on lollies, big bag of potato chips etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    We used one up at Stanage to portion our fish. As Murf said they run fine on a 150w inverter. I have a cheap Cabelas model that seems to work fine and got some cheap rolls from Aldi last time they were on special
    We have found Food Packaging at Maroochydore (email address below) to be the cheapest around, I think I paid $17 per 100 bags 200mm x 300mm (this is for 1000 lots) but from memory it is about $25 if you are only buying 100. The quality is probably the best I have used yet. The only down side is they don't have rolls as sometimes I do need loooong bags.

sales@packagingandmore.com.au

If there is some possibility of liquid being in the bags I will roll up a paper towel and place it close to the seal but away from the food and I found this works really well as the paper towel sucks up the excess as the air is being evacuated.

If your after a vac sealer ..Keep a look out when they come on the shelves at ALDI there about $80 and bullit proof had mine for 3 years now ...
    This applies to all vac sealers....its imprtant to keep the sealing pad seals clean