Thread: Reel suggestions - bass/yella etc

Reel suggestions - bass/yella etc

I have a good rod that i intended using to chase barra. Nice strong butt and reasonably fast tip. I was living closer to potential barra fishing and had a mate that travelled to some suitable impoundments at the time.

I've since moved and I'm now closer to bass and yella habitats and I'm considering putting this rod to use.

It's a little embarassing as I've never actually had the guts to get it wet. Shortly after purchasing it I was spooled at Lenthals and subsequently lost a rod overboard due to a bunch of shit all going wrong at once and I havent been able to bring myself to take the good rod fishing since. Which is kinda stupid and a waste and I'd like to take bass hunting.

Originally i set it up with a daiwa luna td235 and 50lb braid. It only fit about 150yds of that on from memory.

My question is, do i spool this reel up with some lighter braid, use it for the bass and buy a new reel more suited to chasing barra for swapping on. Or do i keep this reel for the barra and buy a smaller cheaper reel for the bass.

Re: Reel suggestions - bass/yella etc

If you just wanted to troll it would be fine, just stick some 10lb on it, but not sure how it would go casting lighter bass lures, esp with your flash barra rod (you said the butt was nice and heavy). Why not think about a cheap spin outfit for your bass fishing, you'd get something quite ok for under $200 and a very good one for under $300. It wouldn't be the quality of your barra outfit but it would be so much more functional for bass. With a 2-3kg spin outfit (roughly because every brand is diff) you could them use plastics, blades and hardbodies, well that's what I suggest anyway.
    cheers
    Mike D

Re: Reel suggestions - bass/yella etc

What a funny world. I couldn't remember the name of the rod the other night when i posted this and today when i found it, i was trying to find a link to the rod I'm talking about cause i couldnt find them on normal bcf/ebay/etc e-shops and googled the writing on it so i could be more clear. This was top of the google list. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ER...Evoluzion... I just remembered my old log in name!

I bought it from a member here and set it up for barra cause it was rated to 20lb.

now, i have read a bit more about it i think i'll spool it up for bass and hunt around for something heavier for the random occasion i get to go look at catching a barramundi.