Thread: Which Kayak to buy??

Which Kayak to buy??

ok so now im confident enough that i want to experiment with chasing pelagics in a yak, which types style do people recommend, i want something that is stable and able to handle bar crossings and swell if the weather turns bad and be able to fight out a decent size fish without getting turned over but i also want something that has a little bit of speed and able to fit a center mounted min kotta to save the arms while out wide. with enough space to fit a few rods tackle and a live bait tank of course with sounder and gps. It would probably be easier to buy a boat :p hahah

All info is much appreciated.

Simon

Do you really want to cross a bar and handle big swell with approximately 30 kg of battery and motor weighing you down and adding drag? What will happen to that weight when you roll the kayak?
    If you use the correct technique and train a bit your arms will never get tired.
    For what you describe you cannot go past a fishing ski like a Stealth Supalite or Bfs depending on your size.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

Re: Which Kayak to buy??

Yeah true, fish hunter as i said it is an experiment, I didnt think too much of the extra weight, yeah and as you say if it does turn i probably would lose the battery and more and it would probably be quite difficult to get gupright with the extra weight too. thanks oh ok im quite a heavy guy round 105kgs so what size would you recommend?

If you are around the 6 foot mark at 105kgs I would suggest the BFS would be ideal for you.
    Avoid the leckie idea for offshore, take less weight with you and you will tire much slower.
    Are you going to be prediminatly bar crossing with it or surf launching and returning?
    I think the bars can be handled fairly well with a Stealth Evo 465 but they are not as good as the BFS / Supalight X on shore breaks though. For outside paddling tho, they are real speed machines and glide exceptionally well.
    Jack.

I have a BFS and @ 120kg it handles me and my gear with ease. obviously its designed to handle waves so its not the fastest thing around but I can maintain 6km/h with ease over long distances

No offence intended but if you think that you need a motor to power the kayak because you feel you cannot on your own then you really should be reconsidering your options.

Motors on kayaks are a recipe for disaster not just for losing a bit of gear, but loss of life is a real possibility if you're relying on something other than yourself to get you home.

The real beauty of yak fishing is that you are self sufficient and completely in control of your own adventure, you cannot travel further than your body will allow, unlike if you have some form of motor fitted which will give a false sense of security.

BTW you don't really need to be negating coastal bars. You will probably avoid locations where boats are prevallent and opt to launch directly off a beach and punch through the swell and cut down your paddling distances than launch from a boat ramp and battle with the boaties through a bar.

What's your budget going to stretch to in regards to a first yak? A boat from the stealth range is ideal but you're starting at the top of the tree here in regards to dollars. Viking Profish, OK prowlers, Tarpons etc will all get you where you want to go for a few less bucks.

Kev

Thanks Kev fitness isnt going to be the problem the reason i was considering a motor to hold position especially while rigging, baiting etc and for estuary and river fishing flicking lures and live baiting with out having to put down the rod to hold or change positions every few seconds, i wouldn't trust a leccy to get me home in a million years. I thought most yaks come with the mirage system or something similar (until i done some research) approx $3000 will be my budget, but looking further into it i will need a mirage system or something similar just for positioning as the last thing i want to do while fighting out a fish is have to put the rod in the holder every few seconds to change position. Any ideas? or is Hobie the only option?

I have owned a Hobie..the mirage drive is great, however ,there is one small thing. You cannot go in reverse with the Mirage where you can with a paddle.

You will very seldom put the rod down to reposition yourself, you generally go where the fish takes you.. It's not a boat and after a few trips your will adapt your way of doing things by using the wind and currents to assist instead of trying to overpower them with brute power..

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Here is great buy well and truly under budget but a perfect fit for the fishing you described in your original post and easily upgradable if you decide you want something different without breaking the bank. http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55118 , an ideal first yak.....

Kev

Hobies are a good yak for all types of locations. But some are more suited to off-shore like the Adventure model (long and sleek). Yes they can't go backwards with the pedal system - but thats where the paddle comes in. I've been using Hobies since 2007 and would not use any other brand now. They are a well thought-out fishing yak.

Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

If you like a design which requires constant steering correction to maintain a course and dont work in very shallow water, then the Hobies are good. I have used a revo and a Outback and am happy to be without one

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2

It all depends on what your preferences are and what you become accustomed to - particularly with so much variety out there these days in kayaks. Any rudder driven water craft moves around in the water and requires regular correction even if you are using paddles – I’ve had other types of yaks such as sit-in sea kayak etc. and all have wondered at times due to current, wind or both. The beauty of pedal Hobies is that if you what to use them in shallow waters then you can elect not to use the pedal system and drop a big plug on the drive hole (which comes with the yak) and paddle like a normal yak, which I regularly do when chasing bass. But when in deeper waters it’s a great thing to be able to play a fish using one or both hands on the rod with the occasional rudder adjustment and move the yak out into open water when the fish is pulling you towards the bank. The pedal system uses the larger muscles of the legs, which don’t tire as quickly as the arm muscles, if you are paddling. It’s simple design features like this that made the decision easy for me - as well as the sound design features that Hobie incorporate each year on top of the yak (moulded trays, rod holders etc.) that make fishing from these yaks so much more efficient and enjoyable.

Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Hobie versus the rest of the world is an age old argument. THe hobie fan bois will fight tooth and nail to promote or defend their craft, it's been the topic of some rather robust and entertaining converstaion on yak fishing forums over the years and still cuts a few deep today.

For your situation, you just need to decide what you want out of a yak in regards to how your going to use it, what your going to chase etc. Try out a few options, go to retailers and have a test paddle and see whats on the market that suits your needs. Then you can make an informed decision with your purchase. Sounds as though you have allowed yourself a decent budget so you shouldn't be restricted in this aspect. Good luck and hopefully we'll see you on the water soon.

Kev