Thread: Winter species on plastics

Winter species on plastics

Hey guys am still trying to get my first fish on plastics but not having much luck. Now the weather is getting colder what are some species I can get in the estuaries on plastics? Preferably the easier to catch the better. Also wanted to know, are plastics any good at night or should I just stick to live bait? I am getting disheartened thinking they do not work, do they really work for you guys?

Re: Winter species on plastics

Flathead, Jewfish, Threadfin, Cod, Bream.

For starters just use 8lb braid, 10lb fluro leader and 1/6 jig head, then use a 4" squidgy wriggler (Bloodworm, evil minnow) and/or 4" Gulp minnow (Lime Tiger, Nuke Chook, Mango ripple).

Oldies but goodies, persistence is the key but you should get some strikes with the above mentioned.

BTW Live prawns are a great live bait, if I have the chance to get them in the water I always do when fishing live baits (Great bait after dark).

Cheers

Where are you fishing?

Flatties are the easiest target we think.

Mud River is pretty much on the mark. Trace fishes a bit heavier (1/4 jig) Tim fishes lighter (1/8, 1/12), both of us catch about the same number of fish overall. If targeting flatties we use 3/0 hooks.

Good luck!
    Tim and Trace

You can target snapper in the deeper cannels, tailor around the entrances, flathead on the bottom of the tide, my usual ammo is 3-4" curl tail gulp in watermelon or pumpkin seed hanging off a tt 1/8th 3/0 jig head, flathead would be my recommendation to start with, lowtide after dawn or before dusk, no freshwater flow, and sunny are the ideal conditions in my experience. Plenty of patience.

Good luck
    Don’t take life too seriously, It isn’t permanent

Thanks for the reply guys. I am fishing around the Passage, I am using size 2/0 hooks with 1/8 weight. Is this set up ok?

Try shallow water about waist height, sand bank edges, around the edge of rocks and weed beds, holes in the run out tide.
    You might be surprised.

2/0 would work, though usually it pays to have at least two size jigs with different size hooks, maybe grab a packet of 1/4 jigs suitable for 4 inch plastics (just ask at the shop).

The main thing is that the gape of the hook clears the plastic, leaving a decent amount of the hook/barb exposed.
    That will reduce missed fish.

You usually use a larger hook for Jewies and Flathead, and a bit smaller if your targeting bream.

Cheers