Thread: Flatty frames for crab bait?

Flatty frames for crab bait?

As normal going to soak the pots near home while i spend the day at Mud tomoro. I have a heap of flatty frames starting to fill the freezer, has anybody used these for sand crab bait?? i normally use mullet, blue mackeral or bonito.
    I would think they would still work but they are not really oily or meaty, just head n skeleton.... otherwise i will have to pick up some expensive servo mullet in the morning

cheers

Re: Flatty frames for crab bait?

I have no idea, but I would like to know how you go with your fishing and crabing tomorrow.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Back home in Darwin we used to just chuck a can of tuna in em when we had nothing else also red meats worked well.
    Heres the proof on red meat off cuts. about $1kg
    darwin 16.jpgdarwin 18.jpg
    cant hurt to try i say.

any fish frames should work as they are scavanger feeders give the flatty frames a shot. worst that would happen is you have wet empty pots.

hey lucee thanks mate, but that was Darwin. This is Redcliffe well anyway heading out now so hope they work.
    Cheers

Yeah but my point was crabs eat anything. Good luck. Hope you at least get a feed. Got a awesome chilli crab recipe if you need one.

G'day mate. I have used flathead frames as crab bait and have found them to be very good on sandies. I keep my frames for that purpose.

Yep, I too have caught many a Sand crab on the Flattie frames (just out of Scarb harbour too). Go your hardest mate.

How did you go with the crabs?

no good. first donut on the crabs for probably 20 trips. only got a few undersize. although i tried new spots. made up for it with the fishin for once so now i have frames for next time

I have run flatty frames alongside most other estuary fish frames as crab bait for muddies and yet to get a single muddy from them, got a few sandies tho, not many but a few.
    I noticed a LOT of pro crabber pots close to redcliffe the last two mornings.
    Jack.

flatty frames are fine,,, but as you stated they are nowhere near as oily as mullet/bonito/mack frames,,,, try them again with a splash of Tuna oil,,, ChopJr has half a dozen "bags" or so in the bait freezer filled with flatty frames/tuna oil ,,, By bags I mean he steals stockings from his mum and Nan,,, 1 pair of stockings makes 4 bags when you cut the legs in half and they defrost once placed in the pot and thrown in
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE