Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How/What to blame the wife for?

How/What to blame the wife for?

Normally my dear half is to be blamed for anything going wrong around but puzzled to find a way for this one over the last week.

Last Saturday morning, boat is all prepped for the next day, all excited to get out finally after a busy working week, I tried to reverse the car and nothing happens.
    No more reversing gear in X5, still goes forward no problems but how can I hook the trailer and roll back at the ramp if there is no reverse

Missed the fishing opportunity. Prawns from local trawler guys and a bottle of wine instead.

New gearbox is over $6k, reconditioning is about the same.

Still cant find a way to blame my dear half......

Re: How/What to blame the wife for?

Who drives it daily? Her or you?

Quote Originally Posted by Linedropper View Post
    Who drives it daily? Her or you?
    My thoughts exactly

How many klm's has it done

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Who drove it just before it broke? Not the day you found the problem... The previous drive?

Has she ever tried to start it in gear? Does she ever brake hard and or change gear forward/reverse too rapidly?

Surely you can think of one incident where something slightly out of the ordinary happened while she was driving? It only takes one incident for her to quite rightly wear the blame.

Speaking as a veteran, still in a 32 year relationship, I can say that it actually IS her fault.... You just need to work out why.

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    Normally my dear half is to be blamed for anything going wrong around but puzzled to find a way for this one over the last week.

Last Saturday morning, boat is all prepped for the next day, all excited to get out finally after a busy working week, I tried to reverse the car and nothing happens.
    No more reversing gear in X5, still goes forward no problems but how can I hook the trailer and roll back at the ramp if there is no reverse

Missed the fishing opportunity. Prawns from local trawler guys and a bottle of wine instead.

New gearbox is over $6k, reconditioning is about the same.

Still cant find a way to blame my dear half......
    Give tony at teams automatic in beenleigh a call awesome rates for a great job.

Trans automatic

I drive the car pretty much all the time, 4.4 V8, close to 200k now I guess its about time, plus I am not the kindest driver.
    Auto gearbox.

Didnt have any indication about failing gearbox though, no weird sound, nothing at all. Just reverse stopped working.
    Early in the morning I even used my cage trailer to drop off some seats, reverse was working as usual.

She was changing the rego sticker just few days before, that might have caused all the trouble.

Maybe the rego sticker. 6k seems excessive. Got mine done for 2400 with warranty.

that's it then, hit the nail on the head....rego sticker did it for sure

When reverse is selected does it just free rev like its still in park or neutral? More than likely just the selector not engaging actual reverse. Is there any linkages on those boxes from the gearstick or is it all electronic control under the lever to a servo on the box? Will be something simple if it worked then didn't for NO reason.

Don't know what box is in yours but a quick google search shows alot of reverse issues with some bmw autos. - here is one fix - Drive it around the block for a bit and see if reverse comes back, if it does then it means it is crud build up on the reverse solenoid screen.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    I can say that it actually IS her fault.... You just need to work out why.

Priceless. Abso-bloody-lutely priceless !!!!!!

I can't believe you even had to ask that question.......

It's been scientifically proven that men are far more superior at driving that women (probably)

Thus it must have been her fault.Case closed.

sounds like a "fuse" may have blown if other gears are working,,,, do the reverse lights come on still??

if not I can see where 6k comes from for a reco/new box,,, what are you exactly buying for the boat that you don't want to tell the Mrs about ????

i've used this before,,, Mrs Choppa was none the wiser until she was standing behind me a few days after the fact and saw me reply to the thread,,,

(its one of the reasons why i put so many commas in my posts,,,, i'm looking over my shoulder all the time checking she hasn't crept up behind me again
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    When reverse is selected does it just free rev like its still in park or neutral? More than likely just the selector not engaging actual reverse. Is there any linkages on those boxes from the gearstick or is it all electronic control under the lever to a servo on the box? Will be something simple if it worked then didn't for NO reason.

Don't know what box is in yours but a quick google search shows alot of reverse issues with some bmw autos. - here is one fix - Drive it around the block for a bit and see if reverse comes back, if it does then it means it is crud build up on the reverse solenoid screen.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=706809
    Its a ZF box unfortunately, not GM.
    Still tried to drive around to see if it will clear, no good.

The linkage all works, pushes the gearbox in to reverse, and R lights up in the dash, but just acts like N.
    Spend few hours on the internet during the week searching, the cause is the reverse drum shredding apart in time.
    Something like this, its a very common problem apparently.
    http://www.noreverse.org/docs/trannyautopsy.pdf

I will drop the pan this weekend to see any metal pieces in there.

Even thinking off rebuilding it myself, worked on manual gearboxes in the past but not autos.
    Rather get new electronics for the boat than spending on silly gearbox.