Thread: some funny looking hooks.

some funny looking hooks.

Found these pics of some hook/trap things and found them interesting.

How would they have been rigged?

Re: some funny looking hooks.

The small one looks like a kind of baitholder arrangement to me and the big one looks kinda plain nasty.

the big one is a weapon..... pull on the line while the fish has the bait in its mouth and bang, instant hook up.

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    the big one is a weapon..... pull on the line while the fish has the bait in its mouth and bang, instant hook up.
    And your whiting comes up looking like a puffed up toad fish lol

They look like something out of SAW...
    I would hurt myself trying to rig em up.

I remember seeing something like those over 30 years ago. They were using them in creeks / rivers to jag mullet for bait. Wayno60, you were pretty close to the mark. Im pretty sure they use to put bread on or aorund the hooks, then when mullet schooled, lift quickly and you had a mullet.

I am most likley wrong, as 30 years is a long time to ago to remember.

The double hook with the safety pin was a standard hook produced by Mustad in the 60's and 70's and used with prawns usually. Spear the safety pin under the chin and into the forward part of the body and close it of and you could effectively spin fish a real prawn. Worked very well as a matter of fact. I used to buy them in boxes of 100 back then.
    Jack.

The double hook with the safety pin ,why don't they make them anymore ,great rig !.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    The double hook with the safety pin was a standard hook produced by Mustad in the 60's and 70's and used with prawns usually. Spear the safety pin under the chin and into the forward part of the body and close it of and you could effectively spin fish a real prawn. Worked very well as a matter of fact. I used to buy them in boxes of 100 back then.
    spot on the money here,,, and i think there is still a few floating around in the gear that i obtained from the late FIL

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    The double hook with the safety pin ,why don't they make them anymore ,great rig !.
    something to do with fixed bait fishing reg's,,, disallowing multi hook fishing/jagging opposed to a single hook,,, also a lot more painful to extract when you catch yourself
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE