Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to use slugs

How to use slugs

G'day,

Just wondering what the correct method for using a slug is? I've never used 'em before, and tried one today in the creek when a school of tailor came through, but no hook up. My other rod with a poddy on caught a good sized chopper, but she bit through my 30lb leader as I lifted her up. Do slugs work on tailor? I tried a really fast retrieve (the slug almost behaved like a popper) and a slower, more erratic action. Empty either way.

Thanks.

Cuzza

Generally cast into the school and wind as fast as you can mate, tailor are normally pretty responsive to slugs

Re: How to use slugs

Thanks, Cobiaman. Will try winding more briskly next time. I noticed the action was pretty convincing when I slowed it and made it erratic, and wondered if you'd maybe even get flatties/cod/jack on them? I'm new to anything other than bait for the estuaries (slowly converting after all these years), so it's all a mystery so far.

Cuzza

if they are not hitting, then cast and let sink for 3 seconds

if not, then try letting it sink 5 seconds etc

changes the depth the slug runs at

Good point, Trueblue. Never thought of that. Great advice. Thanks.

Cuzza

When I am chasing Spotties, I use 2 spinning rods,I cast one out ,put it the holder while it sinks,cast the second out and put it in the holder to let it sink.By now the first has sunk and wind like crazy,I use a Shimano TSS4.This drags the lure right through the water column.Change colours as different days different colours and sizes work better.

I tried many techniques and never got a strike, either so tailor in the area or incorrect lure on the day or the buggers just not interested.

Bondy

You can also just drop them straight down near beacons and jig them for mackeral...

Never struck a situation where tailor won't take slugs - if they are there. But there are a few methods you need to have up your sleeve for this to be the case.

Big slugs over say 45g in flat inshore water don't work very well and especially if the sun is high in the sky - smaller, lighter slugs are the go in this environment.

Tailor on a northern spawning migration (April to October) - and particularly choppers - don't necessarily like quickly retrieved slugs. They often prefer a slowly retrieved slug, or better again is a quickly retrieved slug that is stopped mid retrieve for a second or 2 after initial speed - and this method can draw strikes from a number of species like queenies, goldens, gt, mackerel. Another method is to retrieve with the rod held vertically so that the slug 'dribbles' across the surface at medium pace - this method works well from boats and off the rocks. Letting the slug sink before retrieval can also work but this is more common in deeper water and for mackerels in particular.

If there are other anglers using pilchards close by and they're getting tailor, then it can be necessary to use a slug the same size as the pilchards. I've also struck situations where I'm getting tailor on 45g slugs and people pull up and start throwing pilchards out. The tailor have shut down on the slug and go over to the pilchards. But an increase in slug size to around 65g will generally bring the tailor back on to the slug and they won't then touch the pilchards.

Some great advice here, fellas. Thanks a heap.

Cuzza

Some great advice Lindsay, did you ever get going with the sliders again? I have one left from the batch I got and I know it wont be around forever.

For rivers you would probably be better of with a small slug 40 gram and under.

I find large slugs better suited to rock and surf.

Cheers

Dan

15-40g seem to be the go in the estuary's - i like to remove the trebles and put 2 single hooks on - helps release the fish in a better condition and reduces dropped fish.
    I often go with the smallest lure i can to get the required distance.
    Also, if birds are around, see what height they are flying / hovering at as this is a good indication of the depth of the bait. the bigger the birds, usually the better quality the tailor.... usually.
    just one more cast........

Sorry John - I haven't had any more Sliders made. I keep being asked so I may get around to it at some stage. Look after that 1 you have left - or see Bondy as I'm not sure he's doing much with the ones he has.

Lindsay

Lindsay,

I'll be using mine as soon as I find tailor,

Bondy