Page 1 of 48 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ooglies of the deep.

Ooglies of the deep.

After seeing a few reports over time of people catching ooglies off the shelf I think a couple of us on here are looking to give it a go one day but don't really have a lot of knowledge about it.
    As for rods and reels I'm not considering buying electric reels and stuff yet, I'll probably just use some big stuff I already have and make do going old school and manually winding.
    What I am chasing is a bit of info on rigs, terminal tackle, bait.
    Do the fish 'bite' as such or is it just a big weight when you've hooked up.
    Are the fish on the bottom or a little bit off.
    Any tips would be great.....I'm not too keen on winding up all day checking baits and mucking around so I'm trying to maximise my chances.
    Thanks.

Re: Ooglies of the deep.

Paul on I fish chased them you could probably you tube it. He had about a pound of lead and 3 hooks not unlike the paternoster rig. Now I've never done this fishing but it took 5 min to reach the bottom and about 8-9 to come up again on electric reels. Happy fishing and if you need a deckie I reckon I could find time.
    I reckon leave anything with less than 80-100lb at home there wouldnt be any fighting just drag it up and also about 50t of line per reel could be overkill but it ain't fishing it's winching.

That was meant to be 500mt of line

yep i am keen...i will drop it in and hopefully my deckie will pull the bugger up

I might do a bit of a shout out when I'm looking at trying it Rosco......I reckon a few people would be keen.

Okay just you tubed a vid or 2 and it's actually fishing 250mt plus he had about 560mts of line out another bloke was fishing 450mt deep and not sure how much line he had out. Using a drop line. I reckon if you could set up an alvey with enough line it would work. on a rod the sat in an angled rod holder.

yep count me in when I finally get home
    Living the dream, Barry

I've got one of those big ass offshore Alveys on a broomstick of a rod my neighbor gave to me the other month when he was cleaning out his garage and that was my plan.....to sit in the rod holder and watch Fishfeeder try and wind it in.

But I just got a PM from a very knowledgeable man that shall remain nameless and he has opened my eyes to a lot of truths about this style of fishing I never even thought of........have fun winding Brett!!!

A 5 hook pattanoster with a kilo of lead on the bottom in 500m of water......I'll just sit and watch you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Seaweed View Post
    yep count me in when I finally get home

Righteo......your in.

Just a tip too mate........cable beach is a bit of a mecca for naked old men early in the morning.It's like a local early morning nudist walkway or something.
    I found out the hard way when I woke up on the beach one morning.

With all these big boats going I'm putting my name up first for deckie .

muddy, are you serious man ????? a kilo of lead in 500 meters of water??? @#$% that!! How about if you put ya line through a anchor ball and brought it up that way ?? Nice and easy but I dont think the fish would be too pleased

Quote Originally Posted by sunchaserbf90 View Post
    muddy, are you serious man ????? a kilo of lead in 500 meters of water??? @#$% that!! How about if you put ya line through a anchor ball and brought it up that way ?? Nice and easy but I dont think the fish would be too pleased
    It dont matter how deep it is fishfeeder is bringing it back up ...

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Righteo......your in.

Just a tip too mate........cable beach is a bit of a mecca for naked old men early in the morning.It's like a local early morning nudist walkway or something.
    I found out the hard way when I woke up on the beach one morning.
    Thanks Anthony I am up early now to go check.....
    Living the dream, Barry

we do it all the time down the South Coast of NSW, by far the best option (if you don't have BIG Alver Reef Queen with braid) is to use something like cord about 6mm thick, and then use a simple 3 hook paternoster on some 100-150lb mono, you will need plenty of weight for "sinkers" and all you do is handline with the cord, using a standard game rod and reel will drive you nuts and give you a heart attack, it is just too hard to have anymore than a couple of drops. With braid or cord, you will surely feel bites, most of the fish out there are vicious and you will feel a very distinct bite, don't know if you get those shitty little Green Eye sharks up there, but if you do, they can be a pest, 10mins winding for a small spiky shark about 6cm long! Use Squid for bait as it stays on best, if you can find some decent bottom structure, you should get some good Blue Eye and stuff like that.

USe window sash weights as sinkers or 2 house bricks taped together with a break away.

Get an eletrtic. it makes it so much easier. It also means you have some energy left for a jig on the way back or if a blue or fin takes your lure that you pull for a while seeing as your out at the shelf already.

Lights are a must. Light sticks, swordfish lights, escas all work a charm.

If you have a serious pe8 jigging rod that you have sitting around collecting dust they work well as well. Different action, massive knife jigs like 2 feet long and a great work out.