Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Ooglies of the deep.

Re: Ooglies of the deep.

Is there laws on how many hooks you can have on your line?

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Is there laws on how many hooks you can have on your line?
    http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3045.htm

Lucee, I am wondering the same as I was thinking of a 2 dropper rig with a 3 hook snell setup on each dropper... this way the baits will present good and be less drag so should drop nice and fast.. A nice Squid about 15cm long and a half Mullet fillet soaked in Tuna oil as bait.. Then hang on !!

im thinking 6 hooks thats are far as ive gotten.....

We found Tuna to be the best, we had mullet fillets but never got a bite, small chunk of tuna did the trick on all of the fish we got

Thanks for that Steve, about how many km's do you travel to do this type of fishing?
    Out of Ballina it's about 23 miles to our cod grounds,

the best bit of advice I can give you is....
    when planning your trip, try to time it so that you can SEE the moon in the sky while you are fishing, first quarter is better than third quarter.

this has always been the key to our best days.

Oh, & I love using mullet out there, EVERYTHING loves eating mullet.

Muzz

I have been following this thread for a while , and seeing as someone else has posted pics of their catch I thought I might add my two Bob's worth:
    I was lucky enought to be invited by a friend to deckie for he and a mate out of the goldie on saturday just gone.
    Their plan was to blood some new electric gear that they had picked up.
    We found some fish in 400m odd and after failing at our first spot we moved a little and found a good show. Please read the following bearing in mind that this was my first trip to the edge and I can only report on what happened on that trip.
    My tip is to be careful what you wish for. The boys had three hook paternoster rigs and SMALL pieces of squid on 14/0 CIRCLE hooks. The result was 8 blue eye and two hapuka in 2 drops X 2 rods! That is a truly massive (too massive?) haul of fish in a few minutes!
    For those who want to comment on the electrics, think what you want, it was an exercise and we gained some knowledge from it and my share has so far fed 14 people and the others were giving a lot away as well. We donated 2 fish to a nearby boat as it was standing room only in the esky and remember you cant put them back!

For those wanting to do it manually , good on you . I think I will give that a try next time, BUT, These fish are hungry and aggressive and we found that we got two FULL strings at the same time within seconds of the gear hitting the bottom!
    For the guys wanting to put three gangs or three separate hooks , just contemplate winding up 80kg or more from 400m! The Leccie took 5 minutes and groaned a lot under the strain even with help from the manual winder. I would use a single hook rig and enjoy the ride, Then if you like it you can do it again!

The rig was a heavy (?lb) mono crimped with fluoro tube over each dropper and heavy 3 way swivels. The important addition to each rig was flashing lights! Its dark down there obviously.
    The circle hooks are a must.
    We were lucky that once the squall finally left us alone there was bugger all wind and drift and we were able to sit pretty much over the show and the guys found the bottom easily with 1 kg home made leads ( attached by lighter "sacrificial" leader) - there was 1 snag and its good to lose your lead not the rig including the lights etc.

We jigged up a couple of modest snapper in 250m as well but scored a donut on the trolling side of things.
    I would reccommend a plan B too, its a shitload of fish in a few minutes if they are biting and a bloody long way to go to turn around straight away!
    On the plus side there is a lot of filleting to do when you get back.

A massive thank you for the invite, the boat is beautiful and I want one now.
    Thanks guys for a great day out, great company and a good bit of fun.
    Cheers
    Brendan
    shelf6 full size.jpgshelf8fullsize.jpg

What is the bag limit on these things?? (I apologize now if its already been commented on)
    Thanks,
    Tony

Just want to thank everyone that has put up some info about this style of fishing.

Seems like I'm not the only one interested in giving it a go.

so muddy what i got out if that was pack an extra esky
    just kidding some good info there and food for thought.
    maybe an assault on the gold coast would be the way to go as it seems to produce. may need fishing licences as it could well go over the border..

so muddy what i got out if that was pack an extra esky
    just kidding some good info there and food for thought.
    maybe an assault on the gold coast would be the way to go as it seems to produce. may need fishing licences as it could well go over the border..
    Check the rules first, they change over the border.
    Limit of 5 deep water fish per angler and importantly 10 PER BOAT limit.
    Brendan

I will assume launching from QLD and fishing QLD but with the drift etc i would hate to get done for apparently fishing NSW. dont know what to expect out there but for the sake of $6 for 3 days and if they get a photo of the boat in NSW waters im covered.
    say you have 3 on board and drop 3 lines (cause im a wog that doesnt believe in 1 line) end up with 15 fish.. what do they expect you to do with the other 5 (in nsw)?

I will assume launching from QLD and fishing QLD but with the drift etc i would hate to get done for apparently fishing NSW. dont know what to expect out there but for the sake of $6 for 3 days and if they get a photo of the boat in NSW waters im covered.
    say you have 3 on board and drop 3 lines (cause im a wog that doesnt believe in 1 line) end up with 15 fish.. what do they expect you to do with the other 5 (in nsw)?
    In NSW you would be limited to 3 hooks per line so a maximim of 9 fish from your 1 drop.Leaving you to go for a single.
    Then you would go and do something else I guess. You cant really fish for them if you cant keep them!

Thank you for this info Brendan, very helpful.
    the more info the more less like cowboys we look.

I have 4 or 5 from memory Anthony. sitting in the shed collecting dust If and when it happens happy to lend the remainders out. I will however add that bill's riptide has horizontal rod holders that mount into your existing vertical rod holders so you can simply chuck your rod in and get cranking! Might be a cheap idea to save somebody some hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    Geez.......

So I've just got a$$holed out of the deck winches, got lumped with weather duty and Trev's coming up me rear all in the one page!!!!

See why I've never tried to organise anything else before?