Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Ooglies of the deep.

Hi Anthony

Did you get any video footage of the trip?

Mark

Re: Ooglies of the deep.

Quote Originally Posted by burleygu View Post
    I have 4 or 5 from memory Anthony. sitting in the shed collecting dust If and when it happens happy to lend the remainders out. I will however add that bill's riptide has horizontal rod holders that mount into your existing vertical rod holders so you can simply chuck your rod in and get cranking! Might be a cheap idea to save somebody some hurt!

Thanks so much again Tim.

I'll try and do it cave man style with a rod and reel for the first time and if need be I might have to chat to you about them for future trips.

As for the bit about saving someone the hurt........I'm actually quite looking forward to it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow runner View Post
    Hi Anthony

Did you get any video footage of the trip?

Mark
    Yeah I did, I will put it up soon.

If anyone gets a triple hookup doing it manually you will nearly be dead by the time you get them to the top, but big ups to anyone who does it solo!

As was said circle hooks (PEtackle 10/0's are as big as 14/0 or 16/0 Mustards) are a must and heavy gear because if you do get multiple hookups you are going to get busted up pretty easily on anything light. One of our club guys got busted up on 400lb early last week

Even winding up 1-2kg of lead from 400m is a killer, as you actually have about 500-600m of line out.

Research some good charts and look at the contours closely, u need to find structure even at that depth because the fish will hang right on the structure. Make sure you get your drift exactly right at well because if you miss you just wasted 45mins...

If you do get it right it is great fun though and Blue Eye are pretty tasty!

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by lucee81 View Post
    Thanks for that Steve, about how many km's do you travel to do this type of fishing?
    Depends on where you live but around the northern rivers its about 35km out.
    Dont mind the eating qualities of smaller fish but they get a bit coarse as they get bigger.
    cheers.
    As per onerabbits post, which I just read
    We went to the drop off at the shelf one day and the sounder was picking up the bottom at 990 feet then some one took the seafloor away and the sounder couldnt pick up the bottom but it was a cliff thats for sure. been getting good fish out to the shelf so havnt bothered going any further( in a mates boat)
    And as Muzz knows , the good news is that you will still get good leatherjackets on the cod grounds

Stuff trying to pull up a full string of 3 large fish...... That's why I am looking at a 2 dropper max setup.
    I am not greedy and 2 fish will be enough, Not looking at getting a bag limit, just want to give it ago and if I take home a few feeds even better..

Cheers and bring on the pain.

i think it will be a deffinate requirement for fellow ausfishers to video there hook ups and catch's then we can banter amongst ourselves about who whinged and wined the most!!!

No whinging from my boat..

Cause were tuff like that...

After saying that probably be the biggest sooks out there....

Geez guys after looking at the depth we might be fishing I dont think I will be able to see bottom or fish have a furuno 585 with a 60w thru hull transducer now I think if I have it on 50khz it might show bottom at 400m but not show fish so will try low frequency zoom mode & see if we can find structure &hope fish are sitting on it . so in saying this how many boats that are going have 1kw transducer as we might have to pair up so not fishing blind I dont think bruce & tim would like to drop down that deep on a whim & pray then wind back in 500m of line man the bitching & crying would be insane I think marty must have been to soft on these two & go the boys tonight give it to those blue ba#t##ds

Marty would have been real nice to em and got electrics but that's no allowed.....
    i do not have a 1kw transducer (yet)
    Muddy does i believe
    If marty takes his rig he does (can i be deckie?) if so ignore first line Marty electrics are fine
    Dont know of anyone else has but you may get away in the 250mt mark
    about not wanting to fish blind i think you have mistaken this adventure for a bunch of professionals

So Bill.......I've got the 1Kw transducer and you've claimed the deck winches.

Which is worse.....having all the gear but no fish to catch or having to catch heaps of fish in that depth with rod and reel?

MAYBE WE CAN NEGOTIATE BITCH!!!!!!

Mate,

Tim has got 4 winches, I'll let you have 2.That is if we can follow you around all day like a bad smell. I'm only doing this on behalf of my poor deckies. OTHERWISE BRING IT ON BITCH!!!!GO QLD'ers

I have a 1kw transducer and a furyno 585 . just have to sort out when the trip might be and where from

Just trying to get a couple of pre-fishes in prior to the rainbow comp and juggling family/work commitments at present

Anthony

Look forward to seeing the video

Let me know when you have it up on the net

Mark

As per onerabbits post, which I just read
    We went to the drop off at the shelf one day and the sounder was picking up the bottom at 990 feet then some one took the seafloor away and the sounder couldnt pick up the bottom but it was a cliff thats for sure

Yep Uncle Steve, that's the canyon, supposed to drop a couple of Ks.....but holds some big fish., my Furuno went from 380 mtrs to a straight line down.
    (but that's not the good spot).

I have a question for Spot 82...
    at the previously mentioned spot, I caught a Blue Eye around the same as you have pictured, mine was around 15 kg, how did you find it to eat?

Mine was pure white flesh, firm, & looked the business.....
    sadly, it was tasteless crap, not even the cat would eat it.

I would also like your opinion on the BGs you have pictured,
    what are they like as table fish at 35kg?

I guess we are lucky that our target fish is Bar Cod, which we get to nearly 20kg, at that size they are still one of the BEST eating fish you will find,
    second only to "caught that day" coral trout, which I believe is the best fish you can get anywhere.

Muzz