OOGLIES!!
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Ooglies of the deep.

Well done Trev. Welcome to the club...
    You have a big smile there.
    Phil

That looks like fun. If anyone needs a deckie to press the button on an electric reel then I'm your man
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    That looks like fun. If anyone needs a deckie to press the button on an electric reel then I'm your man
    Yes soon neil

Finally!

Got to give to you for persistence Well done.

Did you do anything different this time compared to previous attempts?

TM

Quote Originally Posted by team_mongo View Post
    Finally!
    Got to give to you for persistence Well done.
    Did you do anything different this time compared to previous attempts?
    TM
    Thanks
    My first fish was a nannygai - so that was the same.
    This trip was a 2 day trip so much more hours.
    Technique was still a case of drifting the sinker along the bottom.
    Had some better marks rather than going blind and hoping the spot would be a good one.
    Previously used squid with pilly inside - this time mullet fillets.
    Cheers

Trev

Hi guys,
    Dropped some blanks into Trev and he gave me a deepsea rig (thanks again), so if anyone in the cairns area wants to have a look at it let me know. Keeping it as a template, cheers.

Nick,
    It was nice to catch up with you and your lady for a cuppa.
    Thanks for making the time and effort to drop the blank off, generous of you considering we were not on your way but rather the opposite direction.
    That heavy sucker will come up a treat I reckon - I have it in mind for a father-day project. I always like to ensure the family get me exactly what I want and so far I have never let myself down.
    The blank as I mentioned will be mounted onto the boat in a fashion that the Japs use where the rod sits horizontal.
    I have already source the rod tips.
    I propose fixing the blank into the stainless steel adjustable rod holder (resin in place)
    The rod holder will clamp onto a solid tube.
    I only have to set a tube on top of the base unit.
    The reel will be fitted to a reel mount on outside of stainless steel rod holder.

Rod Bits.JPG

I also made up some more sinkers.
    The plastic ones are filled with washers and then topped with cement grout - they weigh 2kg.
    The smaller ones are a bolt inside lead filled aluminium tube - they weigh 2.6kg.

deepdrop sinker etc.JPG

I also made up a couple more rigs last night. I have this morning ordered more hooks and ball bearing swivels to make another half a dozen rigs then I am good to go.

Watching the weather for a nice two day break any time of the week really.
    Cheers

Trev

Looking good Trev

What about the setup they use for the giant Tuna . They leave the rod in the rod holder and it swivels to follow the fish

Wellsy has an adapter

http://www.wellsystackle.com/sunshop..._detail&p=1249
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Trev, just a thought for you
    I find it much simpler to cast the sinkers (if using lead and not reo bar)
    The longer the sinker, the less likely it will snag up.
    ~300mm and ~3kg
    image.jpg

G
    S***fish & chippy

Pleasure too mate, thanks for the cuppa and cake too.

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Nick,
    It was nice to catch up with you and your lady for a cuppa.
    Thanks for making the time and effort to drop the blank off, generous of you considering we were not on your way but rather the opposite direction.
    That heavy sucker will come up a treat I reckon - I have it in mind for a father-day project. I always like to ensure the family get me exactly what I want and so far I have never let myself down.
    The blank as I mentioned will be mounted onto the boat in a fashion that the Japs use where the rod sits horizontal.
    I have already source the rod tips.
    I propose fixing the blank into the stainless steel adjustable rod holder (resin in place)
    The rod holder will clamp onto a solid tube.
    I only have to set a tube on top of the base unit.
    The reel will be fitted to a reel mount on outside of stainless steel rod holder.

Rod Bits.JPG

I also made up some more sinkers.
    The plastic ones are filled with washers and then topped with cement grout - they weigh 2kg.
    The smaller ones are a bolt inside lead filled aluminium tube - they weigh 2.6kg.

deepdrop sinker etc.JPG

I also made up a couple more rigs last night. I have this morning ordered more hooks and ball bearing swivels to make another half a dozen rigs then I am good to go.

Watching the weather for a nice two day break any time of the week really.

Horse I like the idea of the swivel for fish that are likely to be at many locations when near the boat such as those pelagics that circle under the boat - thing is with deep drop they are straight down. The only time they are not straight down is when they are somewhat away from the boat along this line of the drift when the fish bladder expands - in this case they are still in the same line - hence a swivel is not necessary. I am thinking more along the lines of very solid anchoring to manage 150lb and maybe 200lb line being pulled to breaking point - as happens when the mainline snags rather than just the sinker.

Grahame I like the idea of casting the lead - I am using up some surplus bolts but can still cast them into the base of the sinker. What you have looks like a broomstick shoved into sand? If so would this collapse as the lead is poured. The sand has to be dry - moist sand is a big no for molten lead. Okay I have found how to make green casting sand online - ground up kitty litter gives the bentonite that is then added to fine sand at about 10%. I might give this a go as I can then make different shapes so I can still cast the bolt into it and save on lead. I don't have a cheap supplier for lead.

Nick hopefully you will get offshore up there and bring up a monster, but if you are down our way and the weather is ideal - give me a buzz - the way the weather is recently it would be a bit like a planet eclipse - rare.

Neil - looking forward to seeing you and Brett with the pics up soon.
    Cheers

Trev

Weather Forecasts

Top effort Trev. Persistance has finally paid off!! How were they to eat??

Looks like the planets may be aligning for another run??

Tony

Hey trev, I just use 32 mm reo bar 200mm = 2kg 400=4kg 600=6kg.
    I tend to mainly use the 2 and 4 kg models and if things go bad tie two together
    Much easier and safer than playing with big puddles of lead.
    phil