Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Ooglies of the deep.

Re: Ooglies of the deep.

Hey george TM that is bragging.
    3 beauties there. And they look to be 20kg+.
    Great fish. Well done.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by team_mongo View Post
    OR, Great fish as usual. Rewards for hard work no doubt.
    Mate I've done it manually before, and I'm not that stupid anymore. If any of you guys out there want to do, go for it.
    Took the mrs and 2 kids plus Wes for a family fish. Got to the shelf at 1415, 3 drops - 3 fish, headed in at 1500. Tidy day all round. The kids had a ball. The pic that wes put up was "caught" by my 4 year old!
    Trev- East of Cape Moreton (350-450m).
    TM
    Attachment 93939
    From what you are saying TM I reckon with my 4-zip efforts to date I would do better taking my 8yo son out so he can show me how to catch one
    Cheers

Trev

Trev have look at this, it will give you some ideas of where to concentrate your efforts.

TM

Hey trev. Its also like loving this crap weather. Every day is just another closer to those glassout days.
    At 4 zip as long as you are getting to the bottom you must score soon.l

Here is a promise... if you dont score in the next 4 i will take you.
    I admire you perseverence but don't want to take the joy out of doing it all yourself

In order to keep the momentum up on this thread, I am posting these beauties caught last august.
    Attachment 93957
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey deanom.... try again i cant see the pics

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanranger24 View Post
    Hey trev. Its also like loving this crap weather. Every day is just another closer to those glassout days.
    At 4 zip as long as you are getting to the bottom you must score soon.l

Here is a promise... if you dont score in the next 4 i will take you.
    I admire you perseverence but don't want to take the joy out of doing it all yourself
    Determination is there Phil. Next trip out I am planning an overnighter just to ensure a good chance at one - as for getting three in 45 minutes - heck I would do 30 drops over 10 hours for one orange thing.

TM is the hint to get to where the dark blue fingers come into the green zones?
    With my last efforts out there:- http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...75#post1473975
    Soundera.JPG
    I would have said I targeted those areas and depths you are talking about - so I am sorry TM point missed on me unless they weren't there that day.
    Cheers

Trev

Trev
    I find the best clue is 10 to 20 m ledges with rock. There is lots of mud. Skip that. I fish in the area you went and have caught fish overmuch of it.

Here is another view. That is cape moreton in the background.
    The green is up to 500 and blue to 1500m. What you are looking for is ledges is the appropriate depth. The ledge that those fish came off was 100m!

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanranger24 View Post
    Trev
    I find the best clue is 10 to 20 m ledges with rock. There is lots of mud. Skip that. I fish in the area you went and have caught fish overmuch of it.
    You know Phil,

funny you should mention the 10-20m ledges as when I was over that ground you look here at my sounder close up you will see something I was looking for targeting and marking and fishing over:-
    off moreton sounder.JPGoff moreton sounder a.JPG
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by team_mongo View Post
    Here is another view. That is cape moreton in the background.
    The green is up to 500 and blue to 1500m. What you are looking for is ledges is the appropriate depth. The ledge that those fish came off was 100m!
    100m ledge awesome!! Thanks
    Cheers

Trev

We know of a 100m ledge and mostly it pulls pomfret. Interesting to see tue the blue eye were there. Maybe becuse the current has slowed recntly

Sorry for the pic. Cannot rotate it on my phone......
    20130616_175730.jpg

Got these on sunday
    The ones in the foreground are 30kg+.

The rear only tidlers about 10 to 15kg
    Phil

Just one question should I actually fluke it out there one day and catch some fish - I was trolling the fisheries site for bag limits and saw cod is 5 and looked for nannygai type stuff and saw nothing and looked for blue eye and saw nothing and I see NSW is 2 for gemfish but I can see no limit in QLD.
    Am I blind - just want to be sure in the freakish event that I catch something one day it would be just my luck to go over a hidden bag limit and get pinged for it.
    Cheers

Trev

NSW - There is a combined recreational bag limit of 5 hapuku, banded rockcod, bass groper, gemfish and blue-eye trevalla.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...ass-Groper.pdf

QLD - No limit that I can find! It is listed as stock status "uncertain" in 2011.

TM