Thread: So I got bitten by a pike eel...

So I got bitten by a pike eel...

To cut a long story short, should I be worried about any kind of infection? It got me on the tip of my index finger, not too deep, but deep enough to draw a decent amount of blood. I used some betadyne and just a bandaid, but not too keen on having my finger fall off in a couple of weeks due to some infection from a bloody eel. Should I be worried, or just add a bit more cement to my porridge?

Cheers,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!

Re: So I got bitten by a pike eel...

Betadine is the go. Give it a real good scrub a dose of Betadine and you should be fine. Scarey looking critters!

Double your dose of cement,have a Rum, and put it out as a livie !

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    Double your dose of cement,have a Rum, and put it out as a livie !
    Haha, well I'm hlafway there, I kept it for shark bait. Hopefully I'll turn it into a 6fter.

Did you bite the bastard back?

Mate keep a close eye on it. You should be right if you cleaned it straight away. Got bitten on my thumb (not too deep) many moons ago, and ended up with staph etc. Was in hospital on IV antibiotics by the week's end. Same thing happened with a flattie. I never bothered washing the wounds straight away, though, so maybe that's why. I certainly do now haha. Let me know how you go next time you're chasing the grey suits.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    Mate keep a close eye on it. You should be right if you cleaned it straight away. Got bitten on my thumb (not too deep) many moons ago, and ended up with staph etc. Was in hospital on IV antibiotics by the week's end. Same thing happened with a flattie. I never bothered washing the wounds straight away, though, so maybe that's why. I certainly do now haha. Let me know how you go next time you're chasing the grey suits.

Cuzza
    Hahah, that doesn't make me feel any better.

I'll let you know how I go, not expecting too much now it's a bit colder though.

Cheers,
    Kaidon

Just be careful next full moon..... if you start developing scales around the bite.... stab yourself with a happy moment.
    I had a pike eel latch on to my hand over chrissy. I was waving like a mad man with this eel flying around over my head... lots of blood but that was about it.... my 6 year old daughter has a bit of emotional scarring... probably more to do with my language than the event itself..... I thought about releasing the eel....... but somehow it ended up encased in concrete at the base of my retaining wall.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Dont take the threat of marine infection lightly,

probably wont get much trouble from a bite, but I would definitely keep a close eye on it,
    you would need to be more worried with a stab-type wound.

I had a big (6ft) Pike eel grab the side of my Blundstones once,
    couldn't get it off with my knife between it's teeth,

glad you still have the finger in question.

Muzz

as muzz said dont treat it too llightly.
    i got my thumb sliced open once about 20yr ago carelessly handling a metre long gemfish whilst chasing r/reds on the shelf.
    got infected big time.
    barstad didn't klean its teeth regularly
    ken