Thread: Sand flies

Sand flies

Hey all been doing a bit of fishing up the backs of creek for jacks and barra and yesterday I couldn't stand the little buggers anymore I had long pants and shirt on and using bushmans but they were to thick so I got out pretty quick.
    How do you all deal with these little buggers is there a way of stopping them.

Cheers marty

Re: Sand flies

try OFF in the aerosol not the liquid form works well. better than rid, aeroguard, bushmans etc imo.

Hi Marty
    I used fish up at hichinbrook a few years back,had the same problem.We couldnt work out how the local boys could sit right in amongst the little buggers,until we stumbled on there secret....they used to burn mosquito coils in the boat.....one at the front and one at the back,worked a treat.
    Cheers,Gav.

Mate we use Black & Gold Personal insect repellant that you buy at IGAS it is cheap and works well

Ken

Hi
    Long sleeves, long pants and rid in the bottle or that AVON bug gaurd works ok.
    You will find lots of threads on here for sandfly remedies. baby oil and dettol is another that people say works.

Cheers
    Ronnie

AVON Skin So Soft moisturising dry oil. It's got nought to do with midgies but it WORKS. I spend a lot of time on Macleay Island and never go without it. Also take some Vitamin B1.
    Brad

hate em,,, but they love me,,, midgies and mossies seem to think that my blood tastes better

watching that new show on discovery channel about "redneck bootlegging",,,, the cops over there spray themselves with LISTERINE,,, yeh mouthwash,,when they are tramping through bushland looking for illegal stills,,,and they assumably believe it's the ant's pants

me thinks it just makes the midgies/mossies bite more with a ring of confidence,,, but i will try it,,,

Brad has the answer tho,,, Avon Skin so Soft is also used by the English Military,,, and like Brad I don't leave home without it
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

When the Buggers are thick not much will stop them.I have fished in places where they virtually cover any bare skin and when the fish are on just grin and bare it.I used to scratch myself raw in the early days and then found using Dettol and baby oil 50/50 with a dash of tea tree oil works fantastic to stop any side affects from the blighters.Put it on after a shower and wake up the next day with no marks or side effects.
    Cheers Guy

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...andflies/page8

some light reading for you .......... if you come up with something that really works - let me know

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks guys looks like I'll have to visit the Avon store. Lol
    Cheers Marty

Quote Originally Posted by martib View Post
    Thanks guys looks like I'll have to visit the Avon store. Lol
    Cheers Marty
    Good luck with the Avon soft wash ..... or whatever it was called - That was the local (Curtis Is) brew that didn't work
    The product that worked the best - but it needed to be applied fairly often was the goodbyesandfly out of NZ - its not cheap for the little pump pack ($15 from memory).

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

just be careful when your using anything with "Baby Oil or Tea Tree Oil" mixed with them, especially after you have applied it

1. Try to lay down ,,, you end up on the floor

2. Grab desired can/stubbie from fridge,, it ends up on the floor

3. Try to do a "Number 1",, it ends up on the floor

4. Cast rod out,, you cast the "rod out"

these are just a few of the dangers that have occured to a "good mate of mine"

so be wary
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...andflies/page8

some light reading for you .......... if you come up with something that really works - let me know

Chris
    Yep that's the go, another one might try is apple cider vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by castamasta View Post
    Hi Marty
    I used fish up at hichinbrook a few years back,had the same problem.We couldnt work out how the local boys could sit right in amongst the little buggers,until we stumbled on there secret....they used to burn mosquito coils in the boat.....one at the front and one at the back,worked a treat.
    Cheers,Gav.
    have done this for years,yes,works a treat.

Evening,
    A mixture of pure Citronella oil + Detol + Baby oil work's well on a range of insects we used to use it when we live out west when the rivers were in flood and would force the sand flies up out of the rivers edge. We often sprayed it on horses and the dog's as well during flood times to give them some relief from them, it was about the only thing that was found to work out there. Other than burning a heap of dried horse shit and standing in the smoke that comes from it,which might be a bit hard if you are fishing from a boat. Then again if your boat is big enough to carry a horse it might be worth a shot. As far as the bites go pure Tea tree oil will put straight onto the bite give you almost instant relief.
    Gary