Thread: Keen Anglers required. :)

Keen Anglers required. :)

Keen Anglers Required.

The Queensland Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry. Queensland.

The Fisheries department are looking for more fish frames from Queensland Anglers to support their ongoing research of the Queensland Fishery.

Currently they are seeking offshore species frames from Snapper, Pearl Perch and Tergalin, but continue to need frames from Spanish , Spotted and Grey mackerels. From the estuary and bay anglers, Tailor and Yellowfin Bream are required.

The scientists need many more frames to assist with their research which provides vital information to fishery managers. Some monitoring results from 2011 can be found here:-

Spotted mackerel. http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_21410.htm

Sand Whiting. http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_21131.htm

Mullet. http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_20890.htm

You may wish to partake in the Volunteer monitoring program.

A 3.49 minute YouTube video from Creek to Coast on Fisheries Queensland Volunteering programs can be found here:-

It is easy to donate frames. The Keen Angler program manager can deliver to you a “ KIT “, which contains H/duty plastic bags, labels, pencil, zip tie. All you have to do is keep your frames from the target species and drop them off or call the department and they will collect them.

There are many drop off points from Gladstone / Yeppoon south to Currumbin

To find out more or get involved call Robert Prosser (07 ) 3255 4205 or email him at

robert.prosser@deedi.qld.gov.au

For further fisheries info:-

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_139.htm

volunteer info;

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_8187.htm

cheers LP.
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 15-05-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Keen Anglers required. :)

Phill,

Maybe there could be a place after the M&G Fishing Comp we could drop off Frames too on the Sunday.

Cheers
    Brett

Are they paying per kilo or just a set amount?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Keen Anglers Required.

Anybody know any?

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    Phill,

Maybe there could be a place after the M&G Fishing Comp we could drop off Frames too on the Sunday.

Cheers
    Brett
    I am sure I could call up Fisheries or we could drop them into Fishhead on the way back. I have some Kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Are they paying per kilo or just a set amount?
    Ummm better call Rob and ask....

Quote Originally Posted by danryan75 View Post
    Anybody know any?
    I'll see you on-site and answer that

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by danryan75 View Post
    Anybody know any?
    I've been a 'Keen Angler' for a few years now. As soon as my 'fishing only' freezer starts to get a bit full I give Rob a ring and they come and collect the bags within a day or so and deliver some empty kits. They only want the target species, so things like dart, cod, garfish etc are not included, and they only want fish caught in Queensland waters, so I don't bring home fish frames from Iluka for example. I'm sure they would appreciate some new donors since for the last couple of years I've provided the bulk of the specimens for some of the estuary species.
    Cheers Freeeedom

I've been a keen angler for years. The bags they supply and very strong so they don't leak and make a mess of your freezer and come with a zip tie, label and pencil. I give them a call and they arrange a time and day to suit for pick up and if i can't be there i leave it out in a esky and they pick it up and leave more kits. They can get age, sex and length etc data from them instead of them going to waste and i still have enough other species for crab bait anyway. I wait till i have a few samples most of the time but if i don't have much room in the freezer i ring staight away and can also drop off at some drop off points.

Cheers
    Gaven

I'm a keen angler .... I'm also an angry angler ......... the amount of times "Research" has subjected my chosen lifestyle to restriction and change that is utter BS. Sorry guys it will be very very cold day in hell before any "Reseach" recieve's any support from me. I'm from the goverment , Im here to help you has worn mighty thin on creditability from my experience.

BigE

I see a fellow Baysport owner on the video.... Anyone from on here?

BigE your frustration is evident.... But unfortunately the real world has limits and we must understand more about them if we don't want collapsed fisheries.

More understanding of the science can only help to increase fish populations and lack of knowledge means authorities err on the side of caution. If they truly understand the population dynamics, they can allow a more relaxed bag limit than if they don't know and have to guess on the low side.

The world has thousands of examples of overfished collapsed fisheries.... None of us want that surely?

Thanks for putting this up Phill - it is a great program.

Fish Head runs as a collection point for anglers. We keep the bags and everything else needed in the store so you can just drop in with the frame and we can bag it for you. We store them (so you don't even have to fill your freeezer at home) and then when we have a few we phone it through and the guys come and pick up them up. We also have a massive freezer off premises where we can store bigger frames or lots of them.

Over the past couple of years the number of frames dropped off has slowed down dramatically so it would be fantastic if Ausfishers would get on board and really kick it along again.

Cheers
    Janelle

Mate that's good to know and I will try to do my bit....
    Now do you offer a filleting service as well ??

Cheers
    Brett