Thread: Braid friction on runners

Braid friction on runners

Does anyone have a solution for this. I find that the friction when using spinning reels deep or even my good old alvey snapper reel with big sinkers, is remarlably larger than with mono, and really starts to tell after a few hours. Have reversed roller tips, and this is an improvement, but there doesn't seem to be a manufactured roller tip for underslung reels.
    Any thoughts
    John Cav.

Re: Braid friction on runners

C'mon Fellas,
    This can't be only my problem, or have I found something that no-body has an answer for.
    I notice 60 have viewed this post, and no reply from anyone.
    Would you recommend any low-friction braid, or shall we design an underslung roller tip.
    John Cav.

Mate not quite sure what you mean
    I use good quality braid and good quality guide's and have no probs for friction

Hi Willo,
    When fishing 50 Fms( about 90 M) Fair current and big lead, I find mono---especially when wet--has practically no friction on the runners, which means a lot when you have done 30, 40, or 50 drops, and wind ups. The braid has a lot of friction, especially winding up big sinkers, and most of this seems to be transferred onto the tip of the rod,and it's runner. To improve this, I have resorted to buying o/head roller tips, and turning them upside down to get a roller runner for an underslung reel. Doesn't look pretty, but reduces friction no end. Now if only there was a rod roller runner designed for this.
    I know there are some new runners that are claimed to do this, but they come on new rods, and it's pretty much buy and try.
    What type of braid do you use in about 40 to 50 lb? Thanks for your response.
    John Cav.

John, I have never noticed this friction. If I'm fishing in 100m with 50lb mono I'm winching up 16 oz of lead in most cases. If I'm using braid its 8 oz and feels a lot easier to reel in. Some braids are noisy but still wind in easily
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Your tip runner doesn`t have a small groove or crack in it, does it?

A mate had a problem of actually snapping braid under load. Ended up being a hairline crack in one of the guides. You couldn't see it till it was removed from the guide.

You can buy roller tips with two rollers for this very resone. No I cant remember the brand but I will have a look. I use to do all the rod repairs for Maloolaba charters andI changed over all there tips to these double roller tips.

I use to buy the double roller tips from Freeway rod components in Brisbane. They were only a few bucks each.

Hi Stuart,
    If you could remember the brand it would be great. Give me a start as to where to look.
    Cav(J.C.)