Thread: Tergalin

Tergalin

Hi All

Any more Tergalin experts on here?

Took my Canadian sister-in-laws minister out fishing the other day and she caught a Tergalin. First one I've seen, are these something not often seen or does she have the gift?

PS This was in about 150 ft E off the GC.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Re: Tergalin

I've got a few marks off the goldie that produce our bag limit of Trag everytime we target them

Patanosta rig with mullet fillet is the go and we usually chase them between 2am and sunrise, after that they seem to go off the bite.

cheers tim

come on tim tell the truth,best time for a trag bite is the slack water at either high or low tide normally 1hr either side ..they will come on the chew normally pretty hard at this time... normally get a bag in 3 drops using a patanoster rig... biggest tip is make sure you hold bottom as if u lift off u wont get a touch..any flesh bait is good for them

Tim uses bait

Rosco the spot i fish is alot shallower than your spot so i reckon it fishes differently. You also said your spot fishes well in summer where as the spot i fish is crap in summer.

We have tryed squid, pilchards, mullet and found the mullet seems to work best

I havent tryed any artificials for the Trag yet as the mullet seems to do the trick on them

cheers tim

Chimo

A more common catch off the Goldie than you will hear spoken about . Hope you marked that spot as most guys are protective of their Trag spots. Caught them early morning but nights coming near the full moon have worked best for me if sea conditions allow a trip. They school up but they can bugger off if you drop a few. Soft mouths so wind up smoothly. The bite is sometimes more of a slow pull down of the rod tip. Don't freeze very well best eaten fresh and are very good .Other replies info is all good .

Chris

So am I the only one that finds them a pest on the inshore grounds of the Goldie?

Some days they're unavoidable, ya don't have to look too hard or have secret spots for them.

For a fish that doesn't freeze too well it doesn't take long to get enough for an immediate feed.

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    Rosco the spot i fish is alot shallower than your spot so i reckon it fishes differently. You also said your spot fishes well in summer where as the spot i fish is crap in summer.

We have tryed squid, pilchards, mullet and found the mullet seems to work best

I havent tryed any artificials for the Trag yet as the mullet seems to do the trick on them

cheers tim
    Holy flying excreta of flying foxes batman..the guru actually has his own spots and uses bait????

Hi Chimo,
    If I may add or Heavens forbid disagree about the eating quality of frozen Trag.
    Firstly when caught, bleed straight away--in a big bucket of sea water. Ice down quickly. Keep well chilled when filleting. Do NOT EAT STRAIGHT AWAY AS THE FLESH IS VERY SOFT AND HAS NO TEXTURE. Leave in the fridge for three days and cook. The flesh will have firmed up and will be quite delicious.This fish cooks quickly--do not overcook.
    When freezing, wrap on plastic to remove all air. I find frozen trag, which has been well looked after, better than that which has been caught and cooked on the same day.
    Cheers,
    John Cav.

We fish for trag on the 24's off the Gold Coast and seem to get them just on dark, it seems strange that we only get them on the paternoster rig as well, we have had them thick and I have put a float line down and can't get them. As Hagar said the bit is more of a pull down and then the rod loads up, as for eating quality they are magic easy to fillet and the kids love to eat them.

Hi, we catch em off evans head like there going out of fashion, mornings, arvos and nights. Caught em on pretty much everything including plastics. They love live bait and they are quite annoying when live baiting for jew. I love eating them. We often wonder down this way why there bag limit is only 5 and snapper are 10. We'll often bag out in 10 mins. There a part of the jew famiy and are also know as trag or trag jew.

Quote Originally Posted by rosco1974 View Post
    biggest tip is make sure you hold bottom as if u lift off u wont get a touch..any flesh bait is good for them
    Last week we were picking them mid water and right up to 3 meters below the boat, if you dropped down to the bottom you got nothing !!! we could see them hitting our bait by watching for the phosphorus glowing and then any hooked fish were followed right up to the boat by their mates.

I'd say they are one of the staple catches of the offshore Gold Coast reef fishery.