Thread: .... There'd be days like these

.... There'd be days like these

I'm not sure wether the stars were not aligned or that god had different plans or that my luck was just out. Perhaps you may have had the same sort of day. I'm half hoping so. At least we'd be able to justify it in some pleasing way but I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Perhaps it's a combination of many factors all rolled up into a big mess. Perhaps a butterfly in China flapped its wings in a particular way and this in turn had a profound effect on the events of my day.

Whatever it is or was. Answer me this... Why on some trips does nothing go right?

Half moon beach. 5pm. High tide.
    I rigged up my wife first and she cast in. Rigged myself up and lobbed a pathetic cast and immediately birds nest. Wife got snagged so had to stop untangling for a few moments. Got her free no dramas. Finally sorted oh the tangle. Lobbed in again birds nest???????? Wife got snagged again. Snapped off and had to rig her up again. Back to the birds nest. Decided to cut out the tangle. Took the reel Part and released the spool. Wife got snagged again. Got bore and went to the Kombi to make a cup of tea. Sorted out my line cast in ... Perfectly. Decided to cast my wifes line in. Snapped off and lost hook line and sinker. Packed her rod away. Then I got snagged and snapped off. Ok... Change location rigged both rods up cast out. 10 seconds later big winds, driving rain. Got snagged snapped off. Packed up. F*#ked off... Went home.

Turns out that after getting home. I swapped the line off my spool. Somehow the braid was crossed over on itself??? Which meant it was causing friction all the way through. Also think that I hadn't assembled the reel correctly after the last cleaning session. Works sweetly now. Or perhaps after all, the stars were just out of alignment?

Re: .... There'd be days like these

I have heard of these trips, never had one myself but.

Nah, stuff like that's never happened to me either.

TOL

We've all had days like that. Now you can look back and talk about them with a laugh - but they aint funny at the time - like the time I clambered about 200 metres to the end of a slippery breakwater on a moonless night with a whole stack of gear then dropped and broke my only torch! Lesson learned - never go out at night without a small back-up torch!
    Cheers Freeeedom

Makes the great trips just that little bit sweeter.
    Conservation NOT preservation!

Are you sookin'?
    Jack.

you own a KOMBI???,,,,,, i gotta buy one of them
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

this is why alcohol was invented...

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    I have heard of these trips, never had one myself but.
    Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    Nah, stuff like that's never happened to me either.

Hmmmmmm again....
    TOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Freeeedom View Post
    We've all had days like that. Now you can look back and talk about them with a laugh - but they aint funny at the time - like the time I clambered about 200 metres to the end of a slippery breakwater on a moonless night with a whole stack of gear then dropped and broke my only torch! Lesson learned - never go out at night without a small back-up torch!
    Cheers Freeeedom
    That is too scary...

Quote Originally Posted by HeadBanger View Post
    Makes the great trips just that little bit sweeter.
    I need a new location. I gone right off half moon bay. No fish too many snags.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Are you sookin'?
    Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post
    you own a KOMBI???,,,,,, i gotta buy one of them
    Her name is Sky and she is a fishermans best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    this is why alcohol was invented...
    Brilliant!

Well, I should have learned my lesson yesterday. Nope!
    Got up at 5:30am an drove over to black rock / half moon bay for full tide and dawn. I guess I was tring to make a mends for yesterdays fiasco.
    This time alone and as composed as anyone can be at the crack of dawn . Made a hot coffee and a few rigs before opening the sliding door and stepping out into the off shore winds.
    I should have know. I should have stayed at home. I must have thrown half a kilo of lead into the sea. The cAring was fine and no birds nests to speak of. Just snag after snag. No fish, not a nibble.
    I was home at 3pm. A good day of surf cast practice and feeding the sea with my bait. Cos there ain't no fish in them there seas. Off shore winds blowing everything choppy and flat. The fish were way out.

I need to try somewhere new around Melbourne. Somewhere to restore my faith in my abilities.

Try woolworths, I always get a few there.

HaHa.. Would be a hell of a lot cheaper....
    Quote Originally Posted by flathead007 View Post
    Try woolworths, I always get a few there.

Mate,
    if it starts out bad for me it usually ends with bad things happening.
    The best idea is to knock the top of a stubby n put your feet up and watch everyone else lose n break things.
    Normally if I lose a lure on the first or second cast I usually will empty my tackle box before I go home.
    Shit happens!!
    Hehe, I saw a uni student on the south wall a while back n he had borrowed his old mans Stella reel n somehow during a cast the spool rolled off the reel and dropped down into the water. We watched him pull hundreds of metres of braid off and still lost the spool. We thought, it couldnt get worse and we considered ourselves to be having a good arvo, Alas it did get worse when he chucked a major wobbly on the wall and took out his frustrations on his gaff.
    We were ducking for cover!!
    we saw the same bloke a few weeks later out there fishing again and with some new gear and somehow broke his rod in half after a few casts. We just hid in the rocks for a while

Damn!
    Poor Bustard. I feel for him...

To avoid snags, try removing the hook and applying Super Glue to the bait.Works wonders. lol.