Thread: Putting in a new floor - Carpet Options

Putting in a new floor - Carpet Options

Doing a new floor for my boat, doing the timber in Everdure. I am going to glue the top half of the carpet down but I would like to have the other half so I can lift it so it will dry out...........

Anyone got any ideas on how to go about this?

I have two under floor kill tanks, one is in the top half that im not worried about but one is at the back..........so I can lift this out but the carpet needs to be pulled up to dry out.

Thought of Velcro but dont think that would work

Re: Putting in a new floor - Carpet Options

Any info on alternatives to carpet would be great also

resin coat and then flow coat that will seal the floor best and so the carpet is removable use clips they look like buttons

Thought of using artificial turf?
    I did in my boat last year and would never go back to carpet, it doesn't hold water like carpet, doesn't catch hooks and is very nice underfoot.

Flotex carpet is the go. It is rubber backed, sits flat and a really short pile carpet (no loops). You wont stain it with blood or anything as it is so easy to hose off. Might be a bit hard to find small offcuts of it though.

Here is a pic of my deck with 10 year old Flotex

I went the velcro tabs about 2" square every 18" around the out side, easy to take out and hose it down if you needed.
    the ol man has that rubber backed synthstic grass in his, nice on the feet but if/when you get any water in its like a sponge, and weights a ton when its time to take it out.

I'm getting ready to put a new floor in my rig also and was thinking about sealing the ply and laying down rubber mats on top of it instead of the marine carpet thats in it now.

I do like the carpet but after a few days in the boat especially if you have to drain an esky onto it, it does tend to smell very bad the only issue I mite have with the rubber is the heat factor in summer I think.

artificial grass is a good option - you can get some that don't hold the water

I use the outdoor carpet. Lift it out, and hose it down. Great stuff.
    David