Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rec Fish Survey results are in

Rec Fish Survey results are in

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/documents/...tsheet-May.pdf

only 2 pages with graphs and pretty colours.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Rec Fish Survey results are in

What bloody survey???

well Marto, if you read it, you will find out.

LP

Very interesting.
    Why are the numbers of people fishing dropping in a lot of cases??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Very interesting.
    Hard times,,, Its not cheap to go fishing anymore. Especially for a likely 0 result.

Bring in restocking ,,, make it easy to catch a feed.

love to know the cost of that report
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Quote Originally Posted by mangomick View Post
    love to know the cost of that report
    About the same as upgrading a few boat ramps most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    well Marto, if you read it, you will find out.

LP
    Phill that wasn't what I was getting at, but you would think that being on a public forum such as this one with 150,000 odd members that you would here something about a survey being conducted in regards to recreational fishing. But I guess not ay.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Very interesting.
    Probably because rec fishers dont want to answer surveys anymore after the snapper fiasco.

This Rec survey was mentioned many many times over the last few years and indeed at EVERY Snapper consultation meeting in Qld.

There are a few threads here on AF that mention it as well.

The survey is conducted by Fisheries and is done on a random phone call system.

There are other means of assessing the rec fishery, including being part of a Angler Survey program , Keen Angler Program, Kreel surveys ( voluntary logbook ) and more.

And yes, I agree marto, you'd think after all the BLOODY times I have asked FQ to post media releases, new regs and other rec fishing revelant info on this site ( with promises they would ) , that this would be happening.

Alas, I feel we are still being treated as a poor cousin to the Commercial sector.

Here's a thing or two to read / look at.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_10450.htm

http://www.sunfishqld.com.au/

http://info-fish.net/

http://recfishingresearch.org/

cheers LP

Phil,

how about putting a poll up to see how many ausfish members participated in the new "phone" survey, that way we can estimate the value of the results based on the basic membership of the site.

Regards
    HOnda.

That'd be a big ask.

Firstly, not all members visit every forum / section, so it would be hard to determine where to post it.

Secondly, many members visit the site on an irregular basis.

Thirdly, the phone poll was conducted randomly aimed at households all over Qld. Something like a million household numbers were in the draw to be contacted.

With about 70% of members here from Qld... ( about 75,000 people ) the chances of some of them getting chosen at random for the survey would be slim at best.

FQ patrol this site daily....... no........ hourly to get a handle on what's doing. They visit all " reports " forums and next in line are the Fresh and Saltwater forums.

The info / data they get from this site alone, would be of far greater value than the phone poll. But, that depends on what your agenda or desired result is.

Here's a deal.

You are a govt body / department and need cash. Your boss says there is no interest in your " area ". So you tell them you will conduct a survey and get numbers to support your " area".

You then pop onto a forum that pertains to your specific needs, say Pig Hunting ... now, after a couple of months, you pm other members, note reports etc and get to know some people there. You get their details by way of subtifuge'. or M & G's etc Now you tell your " junior " staffer to conduct a phone poll. Tell them to call 50 people..... and you have " randomly selected " their numbers from the phone book and ask specific questions.

Surprize surprize........ 11 % of people ( 50 ) surveyed in a random phone poll spend $2,000 or more on Pig Hunting in a year..... 11% = 22 people / 100.... population of 4 million. now we get 88,000 people Pug Hunting.... spending 175mill dollars a year in that industry...... that sounds like a lot of voters... How much do you need ?

The Rec fishing survey states there are about 700,000 Qlders that wet a line at least once a year.... some do it 50 times a year, some once. It also states that " Tourist " fishos are not taken into consideration. That number is huge.... think of all the charter operators customers, travelling grey nomads, commercial guys that go rec fishing, interstate folks heading to Fraser and Hervey Bay etc. To put a dollar value on the Recreational Fishing industry in Queensland is impossible as you could be literally many millions of dollars out.

cheers LP

The data collected was by FQ under the previous Qld Govt. The report just made public is Phase 1 with still more to come I believe - though I haven't heard recently about that.
    A question:
    If the rec fishing numbers have recently declined (at least for SEQ), is that likely to translate into less pressure on the fish stocks from rec fishers, and if so, what are the implications for fishing policy?
    Your thoughts?
    Regards, mark

FYI an article on the fishing report. http://bit.ly/LUX6qN

hi mark, i think that the LNP should review the method of data collection to make sure it's accurate. saying recreational angling numbers and participation has dropped from using a krap measurement method and then using this metric to determine recreational angling policy and regulation could be every bit as krap as not seeing a grey nurse swimming somewhere for a while and declaring them endangered and requiring a habitat. i would put it out there that most data on recreational angling would be pretty inaccurate and that this is probably caused by the anglers themselves, ie. the general reluctance from recreational anglers to provide data in case it is used against them, only now we are starting to see a situation where lack of data could cause a problem.

Point taken Paddles.

How would YOU collect the data and what is the funding costs ?

Moreso, at what point do you feel the data will be deemed to be " accurate " enough to make extrapilations and further, make regulatory decisions ?

cheers Phill

you know what phill, short of compulsory licensing i don't really know how you'd ever get good data across the whole spectrum of recreational anglers. i've got no experience in the methods of gathering data like this but i do know that methods can be manipulated to tell whatever story you want and that bad data can be used to justify very bad decisions as we have seen with recreational angling in the past.

i think it would be all but impossible to get direct data on the habits of non-regular anglers, but maybe we really only need data to help manage regular/serious recreational anglers and maybe this could could come voluntarily from the angling public. there could be catch records submitted via fishing clubs for their members or even from the serious rec angling public who are genuinely interested in the sustainability of the resource. being able to create an account in which you verify your ID (so no spam info and fake id's are created) and voluntarily submit data online would be a great start. i reckon that the guys who put in the bulk of the effort and therefore make the most impact, the serious recreational anglers should provide the data to assist in the management of their slice of the resource, that's the way the commercial guys do it, they report their catches, their locations are already regulated and rules are changed to best protect the resource. food for thought anyway phill.