Thread: Camper Trailer

Camper Trailer

Hi
    I am looking for camper trailer; first one, entry level. Only want to spend up to $6K. I have been looking at the following:
    1. MDC (Market direct campers)
    2. GIC Campers
    3. Castaway Campers
    Basically I want a ropeless pole system, kitchen, 12ft tent + annex
    Can anyone give me any honest opinions of the ones listed above?

Any advice is much appreciated.
    Ben.

Re: Camper Trailer

Ben

I went to a camping show and had a good look over two of the models you have mentioned. I would seriously suggest you have a good look over them first and especially take note of how they are built. I did so, then went and found a secondhand aussie built one with a whole heap of extras thrown in for around the same budget as you are looking at.

Also get onto the camper forums and read up on some of the experiences and customer service feedback.

Steve

I'd be going 2ndhand too on that budget. With a bit of patience while searching, you should score a nice one thats probably hardly used, even throw a few offers in on higher priced ones, you might get surprised.
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

i agree with goat boy and apollo get a second hand one you'll find a really good one on that budget and then you'll have a lot better built trailer with plenty of extras and you'll find you'll have all the setup work done if you buy a new one you'll spend more then your budget by the time you finish setting it up

Jeeze I agree with the above guys. Really depends on what yu want to do and how many people.

Also if you already have a decent gal trailer there are a few versions that will slip in or on top of your existing trailer that at least leave you with a useable trailer the rest of the time for dump runs etc.

If you haven't camped out of one then I would suggest renting one for a week and seeing what you think of geting them set up and put away.

We have camped with friends and might be OK if you have 5 kids but we settled on slide on for storage at home and simplicity of having kitchen set up in a instant . We rarely stay too long and unless the weather is crap the annex stays put away so pack up time is bugger all.

Hate to say it but buy quality design and materials as cheap stuff with crap midge netting and fittings you can't replace with shit you to tears.

There is a mag called camper trailer and there wil be back issues that will show ones you are probably interested in. New they are too expensive but with it geting cold down south the prices will be negotiable for 2nd hand with the holidays all gone .

Research here http://www.campertrailers.org/ and at my swag

All I can suggest is keep it simple - ya don't need half the crap just the basics.

hey mate
    i have a mdc camper i picked up second hand a few years back

its been great

i take it to fraser each year and have never had a problem

mine is a 12ft model with anex

mine is a few yeas old now and i think the newer ones are differenet

mate get on to myswag the camper forum its fantastic

good luck

Hi mate just brought a second hand unit a few weeks ago, bloody great condition with beefed up suspension and landcruiser rims. I'm really pleased and it tows like a dream for $2600. Aussie built from brissie company. There out there... Good luck

Check out www.castlecampers.com.au

I have one of their campers and cant fault it... had it for 3 years now & still love the thing.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

I have to agree go quality 2nd hand, i just picked up a fully galv trailer built localy in brisbane with every thing inside trailer ready to go, including solar panels, some poeple get every option possable to suit there budget then deside a couple of years later they want a caravan and keen to sell before the caravan and camping show so they can get a bargin on the new caravan, i also agree with hire before you buy and do you reserch on re-sale value and quality of canvas used by manufacturer and not the imported stuff.

Regards

Was impressed with this one at the Show (form under $14K) because of the hard floor. Aussie built. Just got to convince the missus.
    http://www.tigerdeezy.com.au/

Edit ... Sorry I just noticed you want one for under $6K

Australian made with Australian steel and canvas is the way to go. To meet your budget, second hand would be fine. Lots of good used Australian camper trailers for $6K.
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

I have worked for market direct all I can say is china.

hi there Ben I have just posted my camper in the clasified other section if you are still looking for a camper Pete