Thread: Batter sticking?

Batter sticking?

Hi Guys
    just wondering how do i stop my battered fish sticking together and to the fryer basket?
    Any help would be great.
    Cheers,Gav.

Blog Entries

Re: Batter sticking?

Mate you gotta make sure you dont overload the basket and use ya tongs to keep em separated. Use the back of ur tongs. I knew the four years at Sizzlers would come in handy one day hahahahaaaaa

P.s make sure your oil is hot (180 degrees). It will stick to basket if not hot enuff

I dont cook battered fish in a deep fryer, i use a electric fry pan, you might also cook without a basket if you use a deep fryer..

yeah leave the basket out if it has some kind of flat base you dont want it to stick to the element if its an electric one, after you have battered the fish and about to put it in the oil hold it by the end and slowly put it into the oil while slowly moving it back and foward in the oil til the batter starts to cook on the part in the oil then release the rest into the oil, the first half should float straight away. and dont over load the fryer.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

yeah. same as everyone says except funchy. he used to be a pro. us rank amateurs are better off without the basket. i only do 1 piece at a time. cooks quicker as the oil stays hotter and absorbs less oil by sealing that bit faster. takes a bit longer cooking family meals but each piece is nicer to eat. oh, and as funchy says oil temperature is pretty important
    cheers
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Best oil for deep frying, I've found is Rice Bran Oil.

Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    Best oil for deep frying, I've found is Rice Bran Oil.
    No doubt about that, pricey though

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    No doubt about that, pricey though
    You're right but I only very occasionally deep fry. I love batter fish but my family is more into crumbed.

Kep an eye out for supermarket specials......I use rice bran oil quite a lot......look for the bulk 4lt specials. I do the same for canola oil. The best oil is peanut oil.....but WAY to expensive - keep that for stir fries (though I tend to use rice bran for those now as well).

Hi castamaster,
    Use a wok and a thermometer (Cheap glass one) suspended with a fine wire on the edge of the Wok. Temp---175 to 180. Adjust flame as temp drops when fish is put in. Get a large chinese wire ladle---think they call it a spider, and stir the oil and fish around as you put it in. Use plenty of oil, and strain and keep in an airtight container for next time.
    cav(J.C.)