Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is my Fisher worth fixing???????

Re: Is my Fisher worth fixing???????

I'll give you scrap for it

Cheers Alfred
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Very kind Alfred,
    And if your offer for scrap is half decent, I may just take you up on the offer.
    Jack,
    All the holes have been patched and welded, it is just a matter of time before it happens again though.
    If this corrosion problem could be eliminated, this little beast will last forever, which is why I bought it in the first place.
    Tim

You need to take the floor out and get this sorted. I think your going to be chassing your tail the whole time mate. By fixing or patch welding the corrosion once it breakes through isnt a good way to go about it. At the end othe day the corrosion inside the hull needs to be looked at and dealt with. It seems crazy its only in the hull and not everwhere else. This leads me to think that the sheet isnt maine grade alloy. Chassing rust or corrosion once you see it is often to late. Geting it sorted by way of prevention will save time, money and heart ach.

You're spot on Stuart.
    The solution is to either get a new boat and leave this Fisher for someone else to repair, and them end up with a $h!t hot little boat, or me to fix it.
    Probably the least expensive solution is for me to get it fixed.
    The next question is who?
    I also agree the only method is to cut out the floor and get to the root cause. Bugger, sounds messy and expensive and more than likely, have the boat off the water for a considerable time.
    That's gotta wreck your day, because I'm thinking this winter is going to be the best winter for chasing Snapper that we have had for some years.
    Tim

Just been informed by Col from Origin that the boat is made from 5083 marine grade structural plate, so I'm buggered if I know why it doing this.
    Tim

You could do most of it yourself. If its only the back half of the boat then its a matter of ripping up the carpet, finding where the wiring loom is and then to cut thew floor in small sections, between frames. It sounds easy when you say it like that but in reality its nothing to fear. If you need a hand I can help you out, at least you will save a heap by doing most of the crap work yourself. If you love the boat then it makes sense to fix and keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    You could do most of it yourself. If its only the back half of the boat then its a matter of ripping up the carpet, finding where the wiring loom is and then to cut thew floor in small sections, between frames. It sounds easy when you say it like that but in reality its nothing to fear. If you need a hand I can help you out, at least you will save a heap by doing most of the crap work yourself. If you love the boat then it makes sense to fix and keep it.
    Thats the way to go and its also the way Finga would've fixed it. Get in there and start cutting. Difficult to get prices when a boat builder can't see what needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post
    Thats the way to go and its also the way Finga would've fixed it. Get in there and start cutting. Difficult to get prices when a boat builder can't see what needs to be done.
    My oath I would have.
    5" grinder with the tungsten blade in it and away we go.
    Silver wood chips flying everywhere.
    Inspection ports every where
    Cheers Alfred

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_N View Post
    Just been informed by Col from Origin that the boat is made from 5083 marine grade structural plate, so I'm buggered if I know why it doing this.
    Tim

You have obviously spoken to the right person on this issue and it is surprising that 5083 alloy is doing this but once it has started I dont think you'll stop it.

It would be good to know excatly what started it as I would'nt think that being submerged would do it.

If they were built back then like they are today (tuff as under floor structure and fully welded self draining deck) it would be a big job to replace a floor sheet, certainly not imposible but a big job none the less.

May be time to shout yourself a new hull and sell finga the old one.
    Cheers Axl

replacing bottom sheets can be done . as others have said depending on the structure as to how difficult it is , i have a mate with a 9m that i did last year and we ended up replacing all the bulkheads and floor and bottom sheets and it turned into a massive time consuming job .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrah Jack View Post

The boat builder will help sort it after he has a look at it

Cheers OB

Ooooooh. Come on now. Fair suck of the sav Col.
    Scrap is around the $2 or bit more/kg.

Cheers then
    Alfred

Tim - if that little beast can be saved would be best

Hi Origin

i sent an email to you guys over w'end- I want Col to have a look at a couple of things on my fisher to. I think it might have sometning to do with ballast on the starboard stern corner

gibbo

Quote Originally Posted by spelchek View Post
    Bloody finga pipped me to the post Don;t you have some work to do, fella?
    He pipped me too. He should be washing his pavers with my karcher.

cheers, stu

Quote Originally Posted by stue2 View Post
    He pipped me too. He should be washing his pavers with my karcher.

cheers, stu
    Pavers all clean. Driveway all clean. House kinda clean. Ride-on clean. Dogs clean. Cups and saucers all broken.