Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Idiot jet ski riders on the pine

Re: Idiot jet ski riders on the pine

Hi walruslike,
    I think the wake is greater the closer I am to a boat. You do get the random "where the hell did that set come from" and you see a boat far far away.
    I'm guessing the wake is going to be smaller as it gets further and further away due to math and science reasons I cannot explain There will have to be resistance factors or something playing the game.
    I also think its a mind over matter thing with wakes, The frustration of someone being so close makes it so much worse lol.

As a courtesy thing though I stay out of the way from boats and I hope they at least slow down when they come past me so I can line up the yak to go over them.

Yep, unfortunately 80% of PWC operators are complete tools with seemingly little regard for others on the water.

Contrast that with a mere 65% of boat operators who have little or no regard for others on the water.

I'm from both sides of the camp, and always do my utmost NOT to affect other people's time on the water in any way.
    In fact, I couldn't stand the thought of sharing the rivers with so many other boaters over this past long weekend, so fueled the ski to the brim and ventured well offshore. Avoiding the feeling of hate towards PWC users in general was well worth the effort.

My experience in the Pine River a few weeks back saw me having to take evasive action to avoid a TOOL in a tinnie who came around a blind corner in a narrow stretch, on the "wrong side", and obviously didn't even know what side of an oncoming vessel he was supposed to pass.
    There's idiots in all kinds of boats, but unfortunately, there does seem to be another 15% or so who ride PWC's. haha

I'd vote for a cap on vessel registrations. The waterways are just too clogged. (I'm only half joking)

It's a tricky thing juggling multiple paths and speeds...

One thing to be aware of is that some boats can't do certain speeds. Say 9-20 knots is too slow for planning and too fast for displacement on mine.

So you can't ease off... Once you fall off the plane it's way slower but the wake is huge until things settle after a while. And then you spend a lot of fuel getting back on the plane. It's a tricky thing to balance all this. But worth trying to avoid giving grief.

If possible I will try always to avoid giving others grief. It's a surprise to me that distance matters because I thought that wave propagation was tremendously efficient and they lost little energy even over large distances.

So even if it's only a perception thing.. It's worth keeping your distance where possible.

if ur not on the plane when doing 20 knots somthing is wrong slow down for moored vessals the slower u go the less wake common sense just needs to be used and if ur worried about the wankers fish wider its a big ocean

I mean if you try and go below twenty it falls off the plane. Say 18.

And don't get me wrong... I am courteous to others and obey limits etc.,. Just pointing out that not all boats can do all speeds.

Add in that you might be trying to avoid the other boats from all directions, throw in a bit of wake dodging of your own because a Gin Palace went through a minute ago, and sometimes your own options to keep away from an anchored tinnie just outside the channel are starting to get limited.

Same like crossing a busy road... At times the safety tolerances are smaller than you would prefer but you have to go anyway.

I try and use common sense... The reason I am asking is to learn more about all this. My previous boat was a 23foot yacht and it's wake was minuscule.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatsworkin2 View Post
    if ur not on the plane when doing 20 knots somthing is wrong slow down for moored vessals the slower u go the less wake common sense just needs to be used and if ur worried about the wankers fish wider its a big ocean
    Sometimes you can be outside and the wankers find you. I think the piney is notorious and especially DWB boat ramp. Couldn't pay me to go there these days. On a funny note SP Dude, seen one idiot on a jetski get his expectations mixed up with his capabilities and he was bucked off about 20 meters from another boat... hahahahaha idiot deserved what he got I hope they were some busted ribs. Accidents don't happen they are caused.

I watched the circus in the Pine yesterday arvo, but I got there later when they all started to leave. By dark there was one other boat, a few tinnys returning from downstream to Dohles rock ramp, and then...nothing. i had two great hours fishing with not a soul or boat in sight. And the fish came out to play as well!Attachment 79785Attachment 79786

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    I watched the circus in the Pine yesterday arvo, but I got there later when they all started to leave. By dark there was one other boat, a few tinnys returning from downstream to Dohles rock ramp, and then...nothing. i had two great hours fishing with not a soul or boat in sight. And the fish came out to play as well!Attachment 79785Attachment 79786
    The Pine was super busy yesterday and DWB boat ramp was very busy when we returned to the ramp at about 12.30. We sat off the ramp for about 15 mins waiting for even one boat to launch or retrieve....couldn't tell why no one was getting in or out because there were about 4 boats on the pontoon and a couple of boats and a jet ski on the ramp...eventually one got out of the way and things flowed surprisingly well after that. It is a poorly designed ramp with the rock wall on one side and of course inconsiderate boaters heading up stream or down stream flat out sending big wakes onto the pontoon and up the ramp.

Now more important things: Flatzie, we had a good day on the Pine with a couple of Jew but very slow for any keepers in the flatties / bream / whiting, your attachments didn't work for us, what did you get??

Quote Originally Posted by sunchaserbf90 View Post
    And this makes 2 weekends in a row that my boat has sat in the garage at home, just too many tools on the water and to me it just aint worth the agro!! it just stuffs up a good day out, rather I like a bit of wind and rain as the wankers stay home and only the serious fisho goes out then !!
    This^^

I never go out on weekends, even if there are no TOOLS, it's just too busy at most boat ramps.

Though I'm lucky I suppose, I can go fishing/boating whenever I like.

Chas and Clarry
    Ended up with 20 whiting up to 32cm and 3 fat bream around 32cm
    Cheers
    Flatzie

[QUOTE=Chas & Clarry;1380525]It is a poorly designed ramp with the rock wall on one side and of course inconsiderate boaters heading up stream or down stream flat out sending big wakes onto the pontoon and up the ramp.
    QUOTE]

The last 2 weekend days that i have launched there have been nightmares. The first time was like you said, nothin seemed to be doing. Nobody coming in or out. Seemed to take forever.
    The second time was chaos. Sunday arv about 12.30. I came back to the ramp to see at least 20 boats waiting to come back in. Another 10 at least trying to get out. + a dozen or so jet skis zipping around. I eventually got my boat to the pontoon closest to ramp, but right up the back end. Then headed up to get the car and trailer. I had to sit in a queue behind all the guys trying to get in. When i finally got to wher i could reverse down, my boat was sitting behind 4 boats. I had to leave my car backed down the ramp, get out and back in my boat, undo the rope and drive it around the other boats onto the concrete ramp, jump out waist deep, hook it up and winch it on as there were so many boats in my way.
    By myself so it was a real pain in the ass. Like you said, poorly designed. I much rather use the Clontarf ramp and just motor down to DWB or Dohles.

if u want to see chaos go to altona port phillip bay it is insane fished snapper comps there several times 6 lanes wide and still a line up at least a klm down the road first time i seen it thanked god for the experience and to add the snapper fishing there is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    Chas and Clarry
    Ended up with 20 whiting up to 32cm and 3 fat bream around 32cm
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Nice indeed! Well done.

kingcray
    Like you said, poorly designed. I much rather use the Clontarf ramp and just motor down to DWB or Dohles.
    Hey Kingcray, how do you find the Dohles ramp? We used to use it a bit but found it pretty poor at the bottom of the tide, very flat & with a drop off at the end, but that was years ago, how is it now? We might go back to using it, it is about the same distance from our home to there as it is to DWB.

ive only used dohles ramp once. i reckon the clontarf ramp is the best one around and i lived pretty much just up the road from it, til i moved up to Redcliffe in january. I use it no matter where i am going.. the pine, round reddy, or mud. And u always bump into a few ausfishers in the early mornings

just back from 1770 amazing how many boats launched on Labour Day weekend. Ramp fits three at a time. Must have been chaos in early morning. Lucky we slept in. Great parking though. Better than any on Gold Coast. Shame about idiot Yachties anchoring in narrow channel at night, making life hard . They need some lights on those markers for night time return badly.