Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to tin can bay, any tips?

Heading to tin can bay, any tips?

Sick of watching all you northerners hooking onto the big fish while I do it hard down here in the goldy do I'm heading to tin can bay in a few weeks to have a weeks r&r. I'm leaving my tinny at home but I'm hiring a 540 bowrider from Tin can bay boat hire so I'll be able to fish in style.
    What sort of gear should I pack? Is there any species I should be chasing this time of year? Gun bait, or plastics you guys recommend?
    Thanks in advance and tight lines.
    Ash

And is it worth me bringing my tld 25 and heading deep? I'm not looking for any spot x's finding the fish Is half the fun and after the tiller steer cold bum tinny I'm probably going to use any excuse to rack up the nm in the bow rider. But it there any good areas to jig for bait?

And is there a decent tackle shop there? If I only have to pack the rods and a few of my gun lures, and just buy my terminal tackle there it means I can fit more beer in the car, I'm not sorry worried about price. I'd rather throw a few dollars towards a local outfit then give more money to the bcf down here if only because of the local advice and stories I'll get when I stock up.
    Cheers ash

I've tried searching for some tin can bay reports to but I tin can bay, and tcb don't bring up any results and I don't know the area so I don't know the common marks to bring it up so if you could give me a hint on that it'd be good so I can read some reports to get an idea

Re: Heading to tin can bay, any tips?

Ash

Firstly, if you are going to stay within the Sandy Straits, then your tinny would be fine. I am not sure of the restrictions on the hire boat, but I would be suprised if they allow you to take it over the bar, so you can get away with a smaller boat.

WRT to jigging bait, the area around big micks is worth a try early on in the day.

Spots- teebar ledge, the reef out from the bluff, the shallows/drop offs around inskip point and any of the creeks.

If you are going to stay within the Sandy Straits, leave the TLD behind.

Have fun.
    Steve

PS They don't call it the sandy straits for nothing - be careful

http://tincanbayboathire.com.au/
    That's their site, you can cross the bar with their approval but as I don't know the area I probably will have enough fun exploring inside. It's more of a comfort, chance to try a bigger boat better set up to see what it offers, and their prices are great. Saves me the hassle of towing the boat up there worrying about where to park it etc. Is there any better bait I should try? What sort of lives could I expect with the jig? Or an I better off with the cast net to get bait?

And thanks for the tips mate, forgot my manners there for a second.

call into tackleshop when ya in tin can ,they r very help and wil point u in right direction.try searys ledge ,out from snapper creek,bird rock,teebar ledge,bullock point,kauri creek,big micks.

take the tinny that bar can be hard work my family has lost a boat on that bar and there pros heaps of options inside u think ur in the shit then theres the mad mile stay safe and watch the weather anything is doable just not in a hire boat good luck

Hi Ash, Jim here from Tin Can Bay Boat Hire. Unfortunately there is an error on the web page all of our vessels are restricted to Smooth & Partially Smooth waters whilst on hire. This however won't stop you from getting some good fish inside the bay. As for the TLD25 with the Longtail Tuna expected to show up soon & with some of the big Spanish Mackerel that move through the channel between Inskip & Fraser I would certainly pack it as you never know your luck! The Tackleshop in Tin Can Bay is great drop past & see Dac for some advice & supplies. TCB offers some great fishing around this time of year. Over the next few months we should see the Tailor & School Mackerel arrive & if anything like last year should be in good numbers. Anything else don't hesitate to give us a call on 0408 329 167. Look forward to helping you out when you come up.

Cheers,
    Jim.

Thanks, that's what I'd assumed and is fair enough. It was only when apollo raised it I went looking for it in your site. This trip is about relaxing fishing im probably going to waste more fuel enjoying the scenery sounded around and generally finding good spots for my next trip. It takes time to learn an area and half the fun is the hunt

Mate give Bullock point a go late arvo. You can anchor and fish towards the pilons and or drift near them flicking plastics. There are some nice size grunter around there, and also 1 or 2 small Barra have been caught through that area. Opposite Kauri Creek, over close to Fraser there is some good reef which holds grassies, squire, cod......and like anywhere in that area plenty of dirty big sea toads. Besides that, if you are keen to head to inskip, fish into the sloppy surf where in bends around from inskip to rainbow beach. Gets pretty choppy but there are plenty of large dart and tailor.
    Cheers
    Deano

Am I better using bait or plastics? Any better than others?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?yetrym

G’day Ash

If your crabbing any of the flats should get you a feed – we went to Kauri Creek a month or 2 ago and got 6 very nice bucks for an afternoon (our 1st time there).
    As for fishing – we have only been a few times but our experience is to pump some yabbies and then fish right in close to the mangroves on an incoming tide (as close as you can cast with minimal weight). This should get you whiting, bream and flathead. We have had less success once you get away from the mangroves.

Kingcray – this reef that you mentioned opposite kauri creek near Fraser. Is it marked on maps? We fished the sheltered size of fraser and found muddy bottom with gravel etc but not much reef? – It looked like it would be great for crabbing tho?

Hope you get a few

Rob