Jack.

Re: Prawn type

Yep Cheribin

Yep sure does look like a cherabin

They are the macrobrachium australiense

the lower one 1 i would call a shrimp,the upper one is a banana prawn.
    support your local commercial fisher,its never too late!!

Agree with Aussie123 - they are freshwater prawns of the genus Macrobrachium (which means big arms). The top one is probably a female, as they often have no enlarged claws or smaller ones than males. I often catch them when cast netting in the creeks, especially around rocky areas. Although they are a freshwater prawn they are found in brackish water which in some species is necessary for their reproduction. There are about 200 species all up and are generally called giant freshwater prawns (or shrimp), long armed river prawns, cherabin (a few different spellings of this) or freshwater scampi. The large Northern Australian species (cherabin) is Macrobrachium rosenbergii which is also found through South-east Asia and is widely farmed world wide, with annual production over 200,000 tonnes in 2002. Individual males can grow to over 30cm and weigh over 500g - now that would be a decent live bait!
    Cheers Freeeedom

Quote Originally Posted by Freeeedom View Post
    Individual males can grow to over 30cm and weigh over 500g - now that would be a decent live bait!
    Cheers Freeeedom
    I think the fish would be to scared to eat a 30cm prawn!! wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    They are the macrobrachium australiense
    I think Aussie and Freeeedom are on the money if they came from SEQ. Cherabin (macrobrachium Rosenbergii) are a northern species
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

seastorm,where did you catch them?i am absolutley posative the top one is a small banana prawn.it has spots like a juvenile banana and a different coloured tail to the shrimp.different little leggies,different eyes,different antenna.just different all over.
    support your local commercial fisher,its never too late!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freeeedom View Post
    Agree with Aussie123 - they are freshwater prawns of the genus Macrobrachium (which means big arms). The top one is probably a female, as they often have no enlarged claws or smaller ones than males. I often catch them when cast netting in the creeks, especially around rocky areas. Although they are a freshwater prawn they are found in brackish water which in some species is necessary for their reproduction. There are about 200 species all up and are generally called giant freshwater prawns (or shrimp), long armed river prawns, cherabin (a few different spellings of this) or freshwater scampi. The large Northern Australian species (cherabin) is Macrobrachium rosenbergii which is also found through South-east Asia and is widely farmed world wide, with annual production over 200,000 tonnes in 2002. Individual males can grow to over 30cm and weigh over 500g - now that would be a decent live bait!
    Cheers Freeeedom
    Geez freedom , can,t you try and give us abit more info than that, poor effort mate, ha ha , great answer, cheers roy