Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chasing Mack's

Chasing Mack's

Just looking for a few ideas on traces for chasing mackerel? All I'm after is about 6-8 inches of something to stop the teeth getting to the leader. I have a few ideas but thought I would open it up to the gallery. Something strong but near invisible would be good. The traces I use are to bulky with big swivels and snaps and puts them off when they are finiky. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from boony
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"

Re: Chasing Mack's

Hi Boony
    unfortunately no one make a teeth proof leader that isn't 3or4mm dia other than wire
    There are a few things that are possible but joining the leader will always be bulkier than no join at all
    I find compared to others in the crew I get the most spannoes, I do get bit off occaisionally when there are lots of fish going for the one bait but I get a lot more takes than the other guys.. for the risk the catches far outweigh the losses
    if you're casting flashas or taipans I use about 300mm of 100lb jinkai to a 60-80lb crane swivel because thay are black, small and don't flash
    with floating live baits I just run 1200mm leader right to the top hook, trolling livies I do the same
    when trolling bunnies tailor or big sea gar I tie the leader directly to the jig head
    trolling lures and small baits like pillies is just about the only time I use wire these days and it is usually 1200mm 80lb single strand piano wire
    I know it's not answering your question properly but it's all I got
    thanks for the pics
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Try a bit of tieable wire theres a few brands out there these days.

yeah.....whats wrong with the good ole' single strand Mason wire joined to your leader with a swivel and a haywire twist?

Wire is great but you don't get the same amount of strikes when fish are on the quiet side

cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Ifishcq1,

Just wondering if you'd use wire trace for trolling bigger hardbodies like laserpro's and mack baits? I haven't lost many trolling these lures and using 100lb mono, but would like to see if I've just been lucky. Thanks for the informative post above, some great advice.

Cuzza

I always troll using only about 50lb leader until I get a bitten off, then I upgrade to 300mm of single strange wire to a black swivel. If they are real touchy you will do ok but if they are in a frenzy you only lose one or two lures before solving the problem.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas fellas, just looking at a product called "knot 2 kinky" wire which is a tieable wire leader. Has anyone had any experience with this stuff cause to me it looks the goods after some minor reaserch??

Cheers from boony
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".

[QUOTE=cuzzamundi;1379817]Ifishcq1,

Just wondering if you'd use wire trace for trolling bigger hardbodies like laserpro's and mack baits? I haven't lost many trolling these lures and using 100lb mono, but would like to see if I've just been lucky. Thanks for the informative post above, some great advice.

Cuzza, got bitten off twice last trip using 150 crazy deeps. Even using 6-8 inches of some sort of wire I'll still run one with mono leader and one with short wire to see if there is any diffeUrence.

Cheers from boony

Hey Cuzz the only size lures I don't use wire with are billy bonito and 350mm tremblers or throw away stuff like Flashas or taipans

Boony could you let me know how you go with knot 2 kinky
    IFISHCQ2

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    Hey Cuzz the only size lures I don't use wire with are billy bonito and 350mm tremblers or throw away stuff like Flashas or taipans

Boony could you let me know how you go with knot 2 kinky
    No worries Scotty

Cheers from boony

If I'm trolling minnows for Spanos I'm not too concerned and run 40cm of the lightest 49 strand I have (120lb at the moment). Trolling livies in a downrigger or on the surface I use singlestrand Mason in about 44lb to 69lb with wire to a stinger and about 100mm of wire to either a small black swivel or solid ring (have gone to 27lb iffish are touchy). Throwing slugs for smaller mack species I don't use any wire.
    I have some of the knotable wire and will try it over the next few weeks
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Horse nice avatar , I didn't realise you know the mother in-law

cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    Horse nice avatar , I didn't realise you know the mother in-law

cheers
    Our wives must be sisters
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Yes Mate they are all sisters (the politically correct version)

cheers
    IFISHCQ2