Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keen to start fishing from a yak but i do have one issue question??

Keen to start fishing from a yak but i do have one issue question??

Hey guys I'm pretty keen to start yak fishingi have one question though,
    I do love estuary, bay and river fishing but as i dont eat fish i only fish for sport so open ocean is my goal obviously i'll build up my confidence till im ready but chasing small pelagics is what i really want to do! So part one of my qquestion is have they made an electronic shark repellant that is nearly foolproof yet? and is there a kayak that is good enough to handle a reasonable swell/chop if it really blows up in the deep stuff all info is greatly appreciated

Re: Keen to start fishing from a yak but i do have one issue question??

lol Classic...

Good luck mate , sounds like your up to it.

Dan

Plenty of people swear by the "shark Shields" but cant be bothered myself.
    Probably one of the bigger hobbies, The revo or Adventure Island, with out riggers and sails if your looking for off shore performance,

Something 4.5m and up for offshore. The longer Ocean kayaks etc are a good start. I wouldn't look past a stealth for both speed, offshore performance and surfability.
    If you're into sailing, not kayaking, then the hobie trimarans are great.
    You've started the right way round, naming the pursuit (offshore) then buying the boat to suit, rather than "I got this kayak cheap on the weekend now what do I do with it?"

don't worry about the shark repellent mate..just get into the yakking and enjoy it.

we have a maximum size limit of 1.5m on sharks...do sharks have min and max sizes for us ?

I think the shark factor is a very very tiny risk if you think they will eat you off your yak. Sort of akin to a wedge tailed eagle grabbing your kids one day, the risk factor is very small IMO.
    If you really wanted to go and buy a shark sheild and use it for your peace of mind.

As GBC stated, Stealth fishing skis take a lot of beating.

As for stability, I reckon yaks handle the rough conditions a lot better than any boat as they do not noticeable pitch and roll like boats do, they elevate over the waves remaining fairly level side to side. I know I comfortably fish from my kayak in 15-20 knots of wind, in a boat I would be thrown around badly with the pitching and rolling. Take a kayak out into open waters for a paddle and see for yourself.
    Jack.

Paddling in big seas is one thing, fighting a fish in it is another.. Also depends where you are around here 10 to 15 knots at the wrong time and place is dangerous.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

I had a nice size bullshark give my kayak a love tap (he was swimming and plowed into me then swam away) 30 meters from Wynnum Creek today so it doesnt matter if your in close or out far, Sharks are everywhere lol.

Mate, you'll be lucky to even run into one out wide. If you do, enjoy the show. Don't worry about 'em mate, and enjoy the yakking.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by Todddo View Post
    I had a nice size bullshark give my kayak a love tap (he was swimming and plowed into me then swam away) 30 meters from Wynnum Creek today so it doesnt matter if your in close or out far, Sharks are everywhere lol.
    I think that yak may be an attractant Toddo..... same thing happened to me..... in the very same yak.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Is it yum yum yellow?

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk 2
    BOAT really does mean Bring out Another Thousand

I have seen the Ocean Kayaks in action out at 9 mile off Tweed and they performed very well in fairly choppy and swelly conditions, I did a photoshoot for them while ET was filming a show, one of the pictures is actually on the cover of Queensland Fishing Monthly this month

I will be getting into Yak fishing soon and look forward to the challenge of a new type of fishing both inshore and offshore, seems like a great way to spend a few hours and good for the fitness too

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by pipifin View Post
    I think that yak may be an attractant Toddo..... same thing happened to me..... in the very same yak.
    Haha no way! As long as they only bump me and don't decide to take a bite lol

Thanks very much guys sorry for the late reply I've been away with no internet coverage. I'm so very keen to get out amongst it i guess the three big issues are bar crossings, getting ran over by other boats as i like to fish dawn and dusk so low light travel cant treally be avoided but the shark thing is for more of piece of mind especially when chasing pelagics the toothies sre never too far behind.. although that is another goal is to get a large toothy by the side of a yak after playing it out of course
    Thanks again

Hey RAT-KING I believe my avatar is on the end of your avatars line
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.