Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giant croc seen in Mary River near Maryborough (map pics attached)

Re: Giant croc seen in Mary River near Maryborough (map pics attached)

Please tell me that picture has be doctored!!!!

This one we tammed many years ago when living in Darwin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by randell View Post
    That's not a big croc, says me with my 12 ft canoe...
    A mate sent me this yesterday, it's Africa.
    Near a Village on the Niger River.
    6.7 m (22 feet long), 1,133 kg(2500 pounds).

randell
    It is amaziing what they can do with digital images these days isnt it.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/niger-riv...oot-croc.shtml
    Cheers Axl

Webby you can't be serious about taming one? anyone feeding a croc other than in a park closed to public boating should be staked below the high tide mark!!
    FFS, the last thing anyone needs in croc country is a croc that is familiar with getting a feed from any boat

cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Now thats a giant Croc
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I have just fished with a couple of 4m models at Karumba and they are big....didnt bother us buy hey I wasnt snorkelling!!!
    Living the dream, Barry

Guess you would be about snack size to one that size Marty. Be careful!

Quote Originally Posted by Axl View Post
    It is amaziing what they can do with digital images these days isnt it.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/niger-riv...oot-croc.shtml
    thanks,
    looks like 15 ft, that Hoax Slayer is good for all these claims people send you....
    Still a big feed for the village..........
    randell

Chooks on menu for croc

Fraser Coast Chronicle 9th May 2012 6:53 AM

A NEW menu is on offer for the Mary River's celebrity visitor, with rangers hoping a change of diet will lure the 3.5m crocodile into a trap.

Parts of a pig carcass were used to bait a floating trap set out last Wednesday, but so far there has not even been a nibble.

Rangers from the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (EHP) decided yesterday they should vary the croc's fare with a two-course meal.

"Chickens have now been set as bait in the trap, with a fish suspended at front of the trap as a starter," EHP manager of wildlife management operations Mike Devery said.

He said a change of menu might help trap the croc but trapping the animals was never a sure thing.

"Crocodiles are wary and mobile animals by nature and sometimes crocs we're trying to trap simply move to another location - and this can be some distance away," he said.

"Rangers check this trap each evening and morning and do frequent patrols of the section of the river where the crocodile was seen, but have had no sightings of the animal since Sunday."

The estuarine saltwater crocodile was spotted by commercial fisher Kevin Greenhalgh on Monday last week, becoming the region's first officially-sighted crocodile.

As it was observed south of Gladstone, the crocodile was automatically declared a "crocodile of concern" under the department's crocodile management policy.

Anyone know of any other animals (that live in the water) whos eyes glow red in torch light at night? Maybe stingray?

Photographer finds crocodile

Fraser Coast Chronicle 10th May 2012 4:43 AM

JUST when you thought Maryborough's unfriendly visitor had taken off, new evidence warns all to be careful in the Mary River.

The rogue 3.5metre croc which has been avoiding ranger's attempts to capture it was this week sighted and snapped by freelance photographer John Wilson.

Mr Wilson spent two days trying to find the crocodile and couldn't believe his luck when he spotted it sunning itself on the muddy riverbank among the mangroves.

Rangers set a trap for the mystery croc last week with a slab of pork which they changed to chicken and fish this week. So far the menu hasn't been to his liking.

They have now intensified their efforts and yesterday announced they placed a second trap in the river baited with fish.

The second trap resembles a large stocking with a gate at one end.

An experienced fisherman who spotted the crocodile during the week estimated that it was closer to four metres in length and questioned if the croc would fit inside the first trap dropped into the river.

Pic info: The elusive Mary River crocodile was spotted this week enjoying some sun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

you would think Australia Zoo would have a team up there trying to catch it,,, in their backyard so to speak!!!

There is a replica of the largest Croc ever shot in Normanton in the Gulf, 8.64m now that thing is huge!!! There is also a couple of very large resident crocs up weipa way which are 20ft plus!

Being that the Mary River has the southern most population of breeding wild barra there is no reason why crocs wouldn't inhabit the area, and there was always stories about croc sightings when I grew up in hervey bay.

I think "lolong" is now the largest saltie in captivity at 6.17m (20feet3in) beating our own aussie "cassius" at only 17ft.. So I'm sure there would be a few 24ft+ swimming around.. as long as I don't see them come down the brissie river then I will be happy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolong

I wonder if the media would be told if NPWS managed to catch a couple of smaller mud geckos in the Mary whist after the big fella??
    Jack.