Thread: Prawning around Bundaberg

Prawning around Bundaberg

I'm heading to bundy for the weekend and will have access to a 12ft tinny - I am wondering if there are any prawns being caught around the area. If the prawns are being caught off Woodgate - do you need an Epirb?

Re: Prawning around Bundaberg

hav a look at tackleworld bundy site ..

Yeah wazza there is prawns at mouth of burrum and out the front of woodgate defintaley. From what I understand you do not need one up to 2nm offshore from land. THe prawns are definately not that far out

The prawns off Woodgate wont need an EPIRB,last year they were spitting distance from the shore,and I got some in the net amongst the flotila of boats.I have not heard of any of size yet in the Burnett,I saw some small ones jumping in the wash though last week. There is supposed to be some off Woodgate, I heard at work, but I have not gone down there yet.

Thanks people

I am taking a couple of newly made nets and will give them a test run, hopefully I will have some photos to post.

You got me thinking,I should put the boat in and the cast net,but if the weather is good I want to chase Mackeral,Hmmm what to do ???

Quote Originally Posted by Giffo65 View Post
    You got me thinking,I should put the boat in and the cast net,but if the weather is good I want to chase Mackeral,Hmmm what to do ???
    I'd be going after the prawns if it was me.

Woohooo, am heading that way this weekend too, just made plans. 2 nights at the Holiday park for myself and a new friend. She loves fishing too, can't wait.
    Will have to get a new cast net when I get there.
    Hopefully I will post a good report when I return.

Back from Woodgate today. Weather was great - no prawns out front we tried the burrum but again no prawns yet I did manage to get a 58 sm flatie in the net. I saw some big trumpter caught - 65 to 70 cm and some big bream. There is a big gravel area directly out from the Walkers point boat ramp that has some deep holes and had some good fish in them. It was good to be out in a tinny fishing - Now back in Brissy and am land based again.

Wazza

One prawn for me, one prawn for mister mangrove jack, one prawn for me!lol

Well I'm suprised, last time I heard the prawns were off the beach off Woodgate (Around Burrum Heads), not that long ago and I do know the blokes in the area keep it very very quiet if they are on as they dont want anyone else getting into the action. i know I got my quota from that beach when I was up there last, then motored up into the Gregory River and got my mate a bucket as well...two of us that day. Had to put in the hours and many casts, we were the only boat out there.

Bondy