Thread: Garmin 451/551 Chartplotter Questions

Garmin 451/551 Chartplotter Questions

Hi All

Looking at purchasing either GPSMAP 451 or 551 Chartplotter.
    I currently have a GPSMAP 178C combochartplotter/sounder with external GPS antenna. This unit is 5 years old and the screen has started to fail. Gradually loosing the picture and am wanting to upgrade.
    I recently installed a Furuno FCV620 sounder so only need a chartplotter. Require some assistance with following:

1. Unit will be mounted inside the aluminium console onboat which is covered over top and rear of unit. Will the internal antenna on the 451/551 work in this arrangement? My thought is that it will not but someone may have come across a similar issue.
    If not, can I use my existing GPS antenna? Not sure what it is as I cant pick up a If not, what external antenna is compatiblewith the 451?

2. What cables/connections do I require to connectto Furuno FCV 620 Echo Sounder? I am a complete newby with all this NMEA stuff but am I right in the understanding that this sounder can talk to the GPS and vice versa?

3. What is the best compatible software for mapping onPC? On Apple?

4. I have over 5 years of waypoints, saved tracks and odometer data on the old 178C. Can I transfer this to the new 451/551 unit? Pretty sure I can do the waypoints but not sure about the odometer data.

Thanks in advance.

Winf

Re: Garmin 451/551 Chartplotter Questions

hey Winf,
    the 451/551 has a exeptional internal antenna that works very well in most aplications but the ga 30 ( yours maybe a ga 20 older model ) plugs in fine to the new model.if not the ga 30 with your 178c (should be) they retail for around $130.00
    the furuno fcv 620 is not a nmea 2000 compliant model but will communicate some information via nmea 0183 and nothing extra needed all supplied . if you wish to add any nmea 2000 sensors to the garmin you will need a nmea 2000 starter kit.
    garmins pc based program is called Homeport (yes apple)and is available on the garmin website for $32.00 and allows you to do all your waypoints and trip plans then transfer via sd card to your 451/551. you will need to transfer all your marks onto mapsource (old garmin pc program) then very easy export onto sd card for 451/551 or/and homeport .Odometer is unfortinatly no

please note : as of the 1.5.12 garmin will supply free of charge a g2 vision east coast chart value $399.00 for all 451/551/556/750 models . this will also work as a chart for your pc and add detailed charts for your homeport program .
    wayne Thomsen
    Garmin Marine

Re: Garmin 451/551 Chartplotter Questions

Thanks very much Wayne. Info most appreciated.

Winf

Wow Wayne great info.

Fantastic news about the G2 maps. I didn't know about the pc software so will buy that now.

Have you seen my post about adding fuel management to the 551s?

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho....php?p=1377002

I also had questions about waypoints in a thread but I don't think there is any fiix for that one:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho....php?p=1371756

To OP I can say the Garmin display is great in sunlight.... I love it.