Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheres the fish biting in Yamba?

Re: Wheres the fish biting in Yamba?

I doubt it'd be policed, more an honesty system I presume...

I havent crossed the bar for some time so all I remember is that it can get a bit rough. Next time I am down there I am going to have to give the clarence a go. Where are you fishing in the clarence?

Goodoo no i'm not but have spent many enjoyable times down there.

I'm surprised you need a permit for Shark Bay as well. I usually have a look along the beach at least once every time I'm down there and I've never noticed any sign saying anything about a permit at the access point there. I'll check it out next time
    Cheers Freeeedom

Quote Originally Posted by Inlike View Post
    Goodoo no i'm not but have spent many enjoyable times down there.
    Yeah, I bet you have too. I was there years ago around Easter of that year was there and I rained and rained and didn't have much chance to do any fishing.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Shark Bay could be encompassed under the National Parks, but I'm reasonably sure that all beaches in the Clarence Valley Council's spread have a beach-permit policy.

Hey guys my parents are leaving in 3 weeks, any update on the fishing?

Todddo,
    i just got back yesterday morning from a week in Iluka. As soon as we arrived the local fishing reports were pretty negative. We set out to prove the locals wrong and although i didnt get out as much as i wouldve liked, we hit our usual areas n ended up having a rather dismal report of our own with nothin notable to speak of other than 1 or 2 nice flatties, and a few good bream over the week.
    Still the reefs in close to Woody Head , Yamba etc produced some excellent catches of snapper and trag jew.
    The headlands still seem to be fishing pretty well for school jewies.
    Over the week we pumped plenty of yabbies and struggled to lose one to a bite!
    Blackfish around the Yamba shores Tavern and also the walls near the main boat ramp at iluka.
    Still loads of legal sized bream around Browns Rocks as always upstream of the green marker on the edges off the big drop off.
    Hope this helps and you find a few good fish.

I will be back in march / april !!!

Dean

Awesome thanks Dean.
    Ill pass on the info to Dad.
    Any others been down there lately?

The river is really clean all the way up at the moment so the fish are dispersed throughout the system more so than usual. I think the fisherman are struggling to find the fish because of the ground the fish are able to cover. The fishing between Maclean and Lawrence is unusually good. For the first time in a long time there have been reports of good fish (bream and whiting) coming out of Lake Woolooweyah. A bloke picked up a 7kg flatty in Oyster Channel (the channel closest to Yamba that connects the Clarence to the Lake) last week as well. He's coming at the right time though because by all reports the system is poised to really fire up.

That boat ramp I have pointed at is underused and right in the middle of Oyster Channel. The Channel is pretty shallow and treacherous in places but the fishing is absolutely awesome all through it. Most diverse part of the Clarence fishery. Up around the bridge school jew, bream, tailor and flathead are in good numbers. Flathead can be found right through the channel.

Your a champ thanks mate, Ill pass it all on to my dad. Will post up how he goes.
    Thanks again to all who posted its greatly appreciated.

An update from the trip - was windy as hell but still managed to get a few bream, whiting and flathead. Plus 2 big rays off a 100lb line I let sit over night on our pontoon.
    Thanks for everyones help