Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Prawns at Nudgee

Re: Prawns at Nudgee

BogusPokus,

Go to DPI website and search for recreational bag limit and its well known its 10L per persony...directly from Fisheries

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/...ssession-limit

Wouldnt like to argue the definition of possession limit. That being said id imagine it would be an outspoken or begrudged type to have fisheries turn up at the house and search.

Prawns are a "In Possession" limit and not a daily bag limit.
    If you have caught prawns and placed them in your fridge or freezer they are still classed as in your possession until they are consumed.
    Even if they are in someone Else's freezer they are still deemed to be in your possession if they can prove it which is mighty hard unless the owner of that freezer or premises lags you in.

Bondy..in possession is exactly that..in possession, regardless of when they were caught.

from a recent court charge:

"A prosecution in the Bowen Magistrates Court has sent a strong message to the fishing community – bag limits must be respected to protect our fisheries.

A $10,000 fine has been handed down to a recreational fisher who pleaded guilty to possessing excessive quantities of fish.

Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district officer Glen Harsley said the fisher was intercepted after returning from an eight-week fishing trip in north Queensland.

“The fisher was caught in possession of 2915 pieces of flathead fillet, when the bag limit is five, and 98 goldenline whiting which exceeds the bag limit of 30,” he said.

“This successful prosecution should send a serious message to fishers to understand the rules that are in place to ensure sustainable fisheries for Queensland now and into the future.

“Bag limits aim to conserve heavily exploited species and to conserve those that are susceptible to capture.

“They also allow catches to be shared more equitably amongst fishers and reduce the illegal marketing of fish.

“Respecting the resource means understanding and following the rules.”

Mr Harsley said if people were caught breaking the rules, they could be going to court.

“Breaching the size and bag limits is a serious offence and one which attracts fines of up to $100,000,” he said.

“Fishers who do the wrong thing could receive ‘on-the-spot’ infringement notices, for example, a fine of up to $400 for taking fish over the bag limit.

A ‘bag’ or ‘possession’ limit refers to the total number of fish an individual can legally take and have in their possession at any one time – it does not apply on a per-day basis.

This includes the fish you have caught previously that are in your freezer at home, camp site or in your caravan.

“We can all make a difference - ensure you know the limits by learning the recreational fishing rules and keeping a copy handy at all times when fishing.” "

totally agree. in possession is not an ambiguous term. it is very clear. and i for one always peel prawns before i freeze. i also believe if you dont give fisheries a reason to look in your freezer they wont. and if they are looking its already too late.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    totally agree. in possession is not an ambiguous term. it is very clear. and i for one always peel prawns before i freeze. i also believe if you dont give fisheries a reason to look in your freezer they wont. and if they are looking its already too late.
    If you were to get technical with the law you are not allowed to remove the prawn heads when you freeze them.
    If you were to be raided and had as an example 10 litres of prawn tails and 5 litres of heads you will be charged for possessing over your limit.
    You are only supposed to head the prawns when you are going to consume them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    If you were to get technical with the law you are not allowed to remove the prawn heads when you freeze them.
    If you were to be raided and had as an example 10 litres of prawn tails and 5 litres of heads you will be charged for possessing over your limit.
    You are only supposed to head the prawns when you are going to consume them.
    i am very aware of that, however i choose not to dip my catch in sodium metabisulphate and i keep my prawn meat for up to a year. likewise there has been more than one occasion when snapper frames in the freezer would exceed the in possession limit. but as i said, if you dont give them a reason to look, they wont.

Therefore I stand correct, it's only the aholes that bad mouth or harrass the Fisheries Inspectors that will take the next step, its only logical.

Pinhead and Aussie123.

I'm not disputing what you said, however I too have spoken to a few District Officers and Regional Officers within QBFP and from what I've been told by mouth "possession" is considered per person a day, some inconsistencies depending who one talks to in this regard.

In reality this is why possession limit was chosen "Possession limits provide a useful tool to discourage illegal sales of fish by constraining recreational fishers from accumulation commercial quantities of fish". whereas Bag limits is what you can have in a 24 hour period

There must have been a lot of recreational fishers selling prawns illegally for this to happen apart from the yellow raincoats having flotilla of boats having in excess of 80L, and yeah one of them spilt the beans (spilt their guts) when I spoke to one of them at Cabbage Tree Point a few years ago, lifted up the false deck and shit, another four 20Litre nally bins full...hence the crack down after that.

Bondy

Is gluttony one of the 10 commandments? Lets have a cheer for our aquatic friends under the ocean!! And a hazzaaa for keeping them in population and not extinct. Haaaazzzaaaaaaaa. No probs fishies anytime.

Saw a school of large prawns in close to pelican park today. Must be the stragglers.

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    from what I've been told by mouth
    is how people become misinformed. there is no 24 period. in your possession means in your possession. in your bucket, your freezer or your pocket. the bloke who got done up north said he was out for a month and stayed under his daily limit. the outcome would seem to indicate the judge didn't swallow that and he was fined.

Netmaker

I agree to that.

That bloke was an example of a fool, so when one eats their posession limit in a day then its good for the next day. I can chow down 10L amongst 4 others very easy in 3 hours. See you at the next Redcliffe Seafood festival and we can have comp as to who can eat the most

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    is how people become misinformed. there is no 24 period. in your possession means in your possession. in your bucket, your freezer or your pocket. the bloke who got done up north said he was out for a month and stayed under his daily limit. the outcome would seem to indicate the judge didn't swallow that and he was fined.
    Netmaker, you did not read what was said...24 hour relates to bag limit refers to Fish, Not prawns. Bag limits is not related to prawns, its officially named as Volume i.e 10L by Volume or aka 10 litre quota

No. Netmaker you are right. Bondy is wrong. Anyone who can read can decipher it.

the only reason a prawn bag limit is in volume not numbers is because it would be ridiculous to set a limit of say 500 prawns in possession. who's going to count prawns? fisheries couldn't check very many boats in a day if they had to count every single prawn. i have also had it by word of mouth from fisheries that the limit includes what you have at home. i also mentioned to them that i fully process what i freeze and whilst they told me that it is not legal they also said that it is a measure to prevent illegal sales and if you are not selling or advertising how full your freezer is you shouldn't have any trouble. if you really want to know, take a minute to send dpi an email asking how much you can keep in your freezer. problem solved.