Thread: Keeping Squid

Keeping Squid

Hi all
    Just wondering what is the best way to keep squid for a feed,I remember someone telling me a while back that not to let them come in contact with fresh water,is this true?
    Cheers,Gav.

Re: Keeping Squid

I clean mine in fresh water.
    sometimes i throw them in the feezer for a few days.
    taste great.
    Dan

If you're going to eat them soon then the fresh water won't do any harm. If I'm keeping them for bait and they need to be frozen then I take extra precautions like no fresh water and no air in the freezer bag.

Fresh water will not hurt your squid at all. i clean my squid under running tap water and after rinsing them together at once after the cleanup, I sprinkle a dash of salt over them then a few thin slices of kiwi fruit on top. Cover with glad wrap and set into the fridge for an hour before you ring them or clip them.
    Jack.

Someone has to ask, might as well be me..... What does the Kiwi Fruit do?

Scott.

Kiwi fruit has an enzyme (actinidin) that acts on the proteins in squid meat to soften it. Don't leave it too long or your squid will be mush.
    Some people use a milk and kiwi fruit mix. I have also heard pinapple juice does the same thing but am yet to try it.

Even Guesty says kiwi's are good

I've cleaned plenty of squid with fresh water it doesnt do any harm. I've heard since my last catch that soaking them in milk in the fridge before you cook them can help keep them soft/moist I have not done this as yet though as I havent caught any lately.
    Cheers Axl

Quote Originally Posted by Scott79 View Post

Scott.
    Passion-fruit is another that has the enzyme.

I soak them in milk as I always have some on hand.
    Cheers

Dan

Hi guys,thanks for the replys.When the squid are first caught what is the best way to keep them?..straight on ice?
    Cheers,Gav.

I chuck them into an ice slurry, they throw lots of ink but it doesnt stick to anything due to the water.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott79 View Post

Scott.
    A friend of mine marinated some squid in kiwi fruit overnight and ended up with a huge lump of mush, LOL.

I soak rm in milk overnight. Straight from the milk into some flour then egg then breadcrumbs. Deep fry. Yummy!!!

Interesting stuff, will give milk a go next time. Previous attempts have ended in something resembling a white rubber band, albeit slightly tastier.

Scott.

its just like washing your fish fillets in water, try flavouring it with plenty of lemon pepper, cumin and ground corriander and some milk, crumb it the next day and fry quickly in hot oil... now thats the sh!t

Thanks guys,mmmm now to find the slippery little buggers