Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adding fuel sensor info 2 stroke carby

Thanks Ryan. I will check them out.

Re: Adding fuel sensor info 2 stroke carby

Hi Walrus

Yes, your stern to binnacle description is absolutely on the money. And yes, you can connnect the T pieces together in a gang or set. Top part of T pieces connected directly together in a nice little line. Perfect. I think most of them even have holes in them so you can fix them to a bulkhead etc with a self tapper. Keeps em nice and tidy up behind the dash.

I wouldnt even bother with trying to include the fuel level sensor. Waste of time, even if its free. And trying to piggyback it or sometihing off the flow sensor, well, just looking for trouble in my opinion!

The reason is that these level sensors just work off the electrical signal from the tank sender unit, and we all know just how rediculously inaccurate they are, hey! Thats why you are going for a nmea flow sensor, isnt it! (i think that the reason the Seppos like them is because their typical offshore boats have at least 500 litre tanks that are pretty deep, thus level sensors a bit more accurate)

Once you get the nmea fuel flow sensor going, you will be amazed at how accurate they are. I presume that the Garmin, like Lowrance, have the option to fine tune the accuracy if they are a bit out straight out of the box. This is called calibrating them, and after you calibrate a couple of times you will get accuracy less than 2% varaince from true. You will never loot at the tank level gauge again, trust me.

As far as a supplier goes, give Jon Eadie at Cleveland a call, hes a garmin stockist and canbet the bits in for you and advise as well. Jons contact details on Suzuki outboards website - jon eadie mobile marine/bayside suzuki. Tell 'im Grant recommended him if you do the deal with him!

Finally, make sure you put it in the fuel line after the racor filter. The one thing that stuffs them up is crap in the fuel that clogs the little paddle wheel up. So a really goood filter in the line befre the sender will be essential.

Cheers

ML

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks again. I have now read NMEA setup guides, Gfs10 installation manual and the user manual, Chartplotter manual relevant sections, various Internet threads.

The NMEA network needs a power connection... fair enough, but the why does the fuel flow sensor need an additional power connection? Shouldn't it use the NMEA power line?

I am starting to think instead I will go as suggested and get the Lowrance sensor without the tank level connection complication, and with more accuracy at low flow rates.

You are right, some devices get their power from the network, others have to have separate power even though they are on the network. I suspect the reason is to do with the amount of power they consume. Maybe the Garmin sensor uses more than the Lowrance??

When in doubt, apply the KISS principle is what i say!

Cheers

ML
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Just when I thought I had it all sorted I found a wrinkle or two.... corrosion and calibration.

There are some folk saying that the Lowrance can't be calibrated without a Lowrance bit of gear in addition to the sensor.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/archive/t-413671.html

The Garmin plotter has the calibrating screens but I am now unsure if it will work with the Lowrance sensor. It seems to me that calibration can either effect the output of the sensor or affect the way the receiving device deals with it. Calibration can either change the output or modify the input.

It seems sensible to me to leave the output alone and simply decrease or increase the readings on the receiving device... After all that's the device you are using to do the economy calculations. But it could be either way... If receiver then the Garmin will calibrate ok but if sender then maybe not.

Anybody have the Lowrance sensor showing on a Garmin device? If so, can you calibrate it?

Corrosion of the T piece connections was also mentioned as a problem in NMEA networks. I was thinking of burying them in silastic. Saves screwing them on to hull as well.

I wouldnt worry about the corrosion issue on T pieces. They are plastic and all have o-ring seals on them these days, and if you want to be extra safe, all you need is a very light smear of lanolin grease on the threads when you plug things into them.

I think the corrosion issues were more prevalent on the old style Lowrance blue connectors which were bayonet fittings, not screw, and were much bigger. The new smaller Garmin and Lowrance ones look good to me, just put them up under the gunwhale or behind the dash, they will be fine.

Regarding the calibration issue for the EP60R, it is not clear from the manual and Lowrance customer service didnt know when i called them. I suspect it will probably work, but couldnt advise you to take the risk. You could search on a site like bassboatscentral because theres not much those guys dont know!

To be safe, given you have a Garmin display, it might be easier to get the Garmin GF10 and just use the flow sensor part. That way youll be fine.

Cheers

ML

Thanks Moonlighter, you have been enormously helpful and have done a ton of work in your excellent replies. Thanks for sharing.

Presumably others later on will benefit by reading this too.

So now I am back to getting the Garmin sensor, I am looking at the wiring diagram. (Assuming I am not connecting the level sensor)

Is it ok to connect to the main isolator switch terminals rather than direct to the battery? I don't want stray current flow while sitting in the driveway.

Um... The Lowrance NMEA starter kit is half the price of a Garmin..... Are they compatible?

So a Garmin Gfs10 with a Lowrance NMEA starter kit?

ive been reading this thread because i to have been thinking about adding
    a unit to my setup

I also contacted lowrance in regards to their unit working on a different
    display and their response to me was just buy a lowrance display.

Yep no problems i have a raymarine E7D and had no plans to buy another display
    and after their reply i will not buy lowrance anything with that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Um... The Lowrance NMEA starter kit is half the price of a Garmin..... Are they compatible?

So a Garmin Gfs10 with a Lowrance NMEA starter kit?
    Yep, the plugs are now all the same. I have plugged into Lowrance, and vice versa. I mostly use the Lowrance cables for the same reason you have discovered- cost!

It is worth having the nmea power supply connected to a switch (eg accessories etc) rather than direct to battery, that way it wont be on all the time and flatten the battery when boat is in the shed.

Cheers

ML

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    ive been reading this thread because i to have been thinking about adding
    a unit to my setup

I also contacted lowrance in regards to their unit working on a different
    display and their response to me was just buy a lowrance display.

Yep no problems i have a raymarine E7D and had no plans to buy another display
    and after their reply i will not buy lowrance anything with that attitude.
    The lowrance nmea devices will share data with any other nmea2000 device. I recently set up a mates boat where we have a Suzuki engine interface connected to a Lowrance backbone (used their starter kit) and connected to his Garmin 8" chartplotter. It all works fine.

That was the point of the inductry establishing nmea2000, so that people could mix and match their gear and not have to replace evything with one brand.

You do find that some displays are however limited in what they can display. Best way is to check the manual of the display that you have, or call the dealer and ask them what nmea data their unit can display.

But im not sure if your Raymarine is nmea2000 certified!??? You should check the units manual, it will say there whether it is compatible or not.

Also, you would have been better off contacting Raymarine or their Aust reps to ask them the question that you put to Lowrance, after all, it is their display that you want to use to show the data on, not Lowrance's.

Why?

Because Lowrance would have no idea if the Ray is 2k certified, nor whether it can display the fuel data from the EP60. Easy mistake for you to make, but a mistake nevertheless. You shouldnt be shitty with Lowrance when you understand this point.

Cheers

ML

Thanks again..... Terrific info. So that's settled it...

I will check with your mechanic mate if he has stock... Otherwise I will try the coast firm mentioned earlier.

Thanks guys. I will post here how it all goes.

Thanks moonlighter i did contact raymarine and they were not positive
    on what would display even though their unit does have that setup display

Yep it is nmea2000 certified it was only released not that long ago
    http://www.raymarine.com.au/view/?id=1347

Ordered Garmin GFS-10 and NMEA kit from Jon Eadie who is a mobile outboard mechanic recommended by Moonlighter. He is priced much the same as elsewhere.

I am looking forward to getting this going. Thanks Monlighter for the help and referral. Thanks also to Stewey and others.