Thread: Nannygai off Mackay - 03/04/2012

Nannygai off Mackay - 03/04/2012

Members,

We took my brother's new Canyon Runner for her maiden voyage off Mackay last week after its previous life in Yeppoon. I was met at Russel's at 3am by his neighbour, Tony, who introduced himself as new to fishing and seemed eager to learn. After packing the gear, we lodged a trip sheet with VMR Mackay (dumbfounded people don't do this more) and launched without incident at the Mackay Marina. The weather was forecast to drop off and proved correct after some nasty Mackay chop on top of the rolling swell greeted us head on during the journey out.

We reached the first mark near Snare Peak Island and sounded around before starting on an initial drift. I dropped my baited jig and landed a juvenile small mouth and a 25lb gold spot before Russel had shown Tony how to tie a rig.Once Tony was away, he set the standard being the first to hit bottom and first to hook up all day - beginner's luck. After him landing the first fish for a half dozen or so drifts, we told him "to learn to take your own friggin fish off." I dropped a few more before changing to a straight paternoster in an effort to keep up.

We ended up with about 20 Nannygai and a trout before heading to Kindemar Reef for a check on a few marks that proved quiet. We headed back to Snare and found the fish still biting where we landed the last 7 Nannygai for our bag limit before heading home.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040807.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	78812

Name:	P1040801.jpg 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	78811

Tony with a standard Large mouth Nannygai.

Name:	DSCF9829.jpg 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	78807

The swell has dropped off.

Name:	DSCF9838.jpg 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	78808

One anaemic trout and a happy skipper.

Name:	P1040800.jpg 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	78809

Name:	P1040793.jpg 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	78810

Re: Nannygai off Mackay - 03/04/2012

Mate looks an absolute awesome trip . Lucky buggars I had to come back out to work . Top effort
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

Never get sick of seeing posts from you northern guys with those red fish. I bet that neighbour is never a problem after a trip like that.
    Gaven

Awesome mate. Good quality reds there but also gotta love that Albino trout. It looks to be not a 100% Albino but pretty cool all the same.

great effort fellas, top haul there. the colurs through that largie are awesome too.

cheers Millsy

Good haul there redrocks , cant beat those conditions too , pitty about Kindemar fishing slow , usually holds some good fish . were you fishing the shallows for trout or were you after some red fish in the deep? missed out on that last patch of good weather too , bloody work hey!!

Fantastic report and a great trip by the looks, always great to see a Newby do well and get the 'red itch' well done

Cheers from boony
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"

We went to some marks wide of Kindemar chasing emperor. The fuel was touch and go so we opted not to hit the shallows to try this new ground. We found some massive bumps on the journey back so will look at them also next trip.

how did the markham go redrocks - i bought a brand new one about 9 months ago & luv it

what a cracker of a maiden voyage and nice looking setup to .. well done guys
    It’s the fish’s fault ….. because they swim in the ocean …..

Quote Originally Posted by zorro1 View Post
    how did the markham go redrocks - i bought a brand new one about 9 months ago & luv it
    It went really well Zorro, not particularly tested in the conditions, but a good run. The most telling thing was the fuel consumption, we did at least 160nm for less than 400 litres of fuel (haven't fuelled up yet)
    which is a big improvement over the last rig he had and good value for such a big boat. The other difference we noticed was the steady cruise, where the 773SR would blast along at 32knots effortlessly, but chewing a lot more ULP through the twin 225 Etecs, the Markham just purrs away steadily.

Quote Originally Posted by zorro1 View Post
    312 litres it used for 160nm travel. Not too shabby I think - 1.95 l/nm.

i had twin 140 suzuks fitted onto mine - 'purs' is the word alrite! i have approx. the same fuel economy which people can't believe - been caught once or twice when the seas wipped up but handled it great and feel more & more comfortable every trip. usually rack up some big miles as well when we go north and the fuel economy is feature