Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just saw this on Ninemsn

Re: Just saw this on Ninemsn

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    Disgusting stuff, the fine is substantial but not enough IMO. Keep in mind though that this is one bad example of an unlicenced fisher being greedy. Not a true Rec fisher, shouldn't be refered to as a "Rec Fisher" at all because he is not, but a pro without a licence. The commercial catch makes this look like loose change and goes on day and day out. I think I heard 65 tonnes of fish through the Sydney fish market daily. Easy to see why the fish stocks are struggling, makes me feel sick.

Make me even more sick when I see our local seafood supplier dump tray and trays of reef and other fish fillets on a regular basis being excess to sales.

Quote: "SFM sells around 2700 crates at every auction, or 65 tonnes of fresh seafood every day".
    Every Day!!

support your local commercial fisher,its never too late!!

Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post
    Angler fined 10K over bag limit breaches

$10,000.00 fine,,, he'll offer to pay it off,,, $1.00 a week for the next 20 years
    Would be 200 Years

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    Disgusting stuff, the fine is substantial but not enough IMO. Keep in mind though that this is one bad example of an unlicenced fisher being greedy. Not a true Rec fisher, shouldn't be refered to as a "Rec Fisher" at all because he is not, but a pro without a licence. The commercial catch makes this look like loose change and goes on day and day out. I think I heard 65 tonnes of fish through the Sydney fish market daily. Easy to see why the fish stocks are struggling, makes me feel sick.

Make me even more sick when I see our local seafood supplier dump tray and trays of reef and other fish fillets on a regular basis being excess to sales.

Quote: "SFM sells around 2700 crates at every auction, or 65 tonnes of fresh seafood every day".
    Every Day!!

Surely you cant be serious in drawing a comparison between this subject and legitimate commercial sales through SFM .
    But on that note if they are selling 65 tonnes a day then someone other than yourself must be eating it ?
    would that be fair to assume?

My sources tell me that he was from Sydney and was a grey nomad... Fisheries where tipped off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen angel View Post
    My sources tell me that he was from Sydney and was a grey nomad... Fisheries where tipped off.
    obviously a creature of habit i'd guess

If you google:" Fishing Fines Queensland," or "Fishing Fines Western Australia" etc etc ,,, you will be surprised at the number of offences,,,, such as this one to give you a comparasion if you think this posts topic has not been fined enough

Fishing haul attracts $7000 fine

News release | 25 January, 2011

A recreational fisher, who hid a total of 656 whiting fillets and 43 portions of flathead in two locations, has been fined $7000 by the Ayr Magistrates Court for two separate fisheries offences this month.
    The fisher concealed some whiting and flathead fillets in his caravan and stashed the remaining fillets in a freezer at a separate location.
    In a separate incident, a married couple have been fined $1500 each for hiding 253 whiting fillets in their caravan freezer.
    Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol (QBFP) District Officer Robert Ibell said these cases highlighted the need for fishers to know the rules, particularly the rules about take and possession or bag limits.
    "In June last year we received a complaint from a member of the public about a fisher which led us to execute a search warrant at a local caravan park," Mr Ibell said.
    "We found the fisher had a total of 31kg of whiting and flathead fillets.
    "The fisher was fined for possession of 298 whiting over the bag limit of 30, and possession of flathead that were divided into 43 portions in a way that they could not be easily identified by an inspector to count the number of fish.
    "The married couple had been travelling near Proserpine with their caravan when they were stopped and their vehicles searched following a complaint made by a member of the public."
    Mr Ibell said both defendants were both fined for possession of 67 whiting over the bag limit of 30.
    "A bag limit (take and possession limit) is the total number of fish that one person can legally take and keep at any one time.
    "It is important for fishers to remember that this limit applies to fish that are also in their possession in their home, on their boat or in their esky."
    Mr Ibell said these cases were a timely reminder to all fishers about the importance of knowing the rules.
    "Our fish stocks are an important resource and rules are in place to protect our fisheries for future generations to enjoy.
    "Species such as whiting and flathead are extremely valuable to the recreational and tourism industry in the Burdekin area and rules are in place to protect the sustainability of this stock."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that the amount of Flathead is considerably smaller in value that the original post amount,,,, but the whiting numbers make up for the difference,,,, out of all the actual convictions that are on Google Search,,, the majority for Qld is Northern,,, there are some that are certainly mid/southern areas,,, but far more in the North and effect both "locals" and tourists alike

"wonder what the legal termination of "portions" are,,,, I have "portions" in my freezer right now,,,, and some are flathead,,, (frames that are cut in half for crabpots,,,, BUT i suppose you could turn them into Fish Stock or Soup?????)

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post

"wonder what the legal termination of "portions" are,,,, I have "portions" in my freezer right now,,,, and some are flathead,,, (frames that are cut in half for crabpots,,,, BUT i suppose you could turn them into Fish Stock or Soup?????)

choppa
    Yea interesting point. I must say i would have had max total flathead / whiting fillets in the fridge along with possibly dozens of frames still in the freezer kept for crab bait.