Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just saw this on Ninemsn

Re: Just saw this on Ninemsn

This wasnt mentioned in the article but all the flatties were taken on 1 Zman Plastic...

just saying

Also his boat license should be permanently disqualified. That's just ridiculous.

Still Choppa

He his over the bag limit in both species, well and truly over with regards to flathead.

Not saying there are some unfortunate bookings, but this guy got busted.....

I have seen time and time again rorting of the system and fisheries not being able to do anything as their hands are tied behind their back because of a loop hole. That many loop holes it is not funny.

At time of having so many pieces of flathead fillet, he mustn't of had a clear understanding of what "in your possession" means.

Say he had way over half a tonne of fish..
    Must have been driving a refrigerated truck/van.

Hardly a rec fishos setup.

Dan

Dan

I have seen purpose built refrigerated boxes with snap freezers for trips up the gulf, and they would come back full.

If you go to Karumba, because of the in possession bag limit pallets of fish would be sent out through the cold stores back to families down south. The same used to happen up at Weipa.

Unfortunately The recreational sector can not pick and choose who is within their clan, the same goes for the commercial sector, there are bad eggs in both.

The one thing that stands to stop this action that both sides are guilty off, is severly under staffed and resourced. Until this is area is bought upto scratch will continue to hear stories like this.

Anyway my opinion and what I have seen over the years

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen angel View Post
    Still Choppa

He his over the bag limit in both species, well and truly over with regards to flathead.

Not saying there are some unfortunate bookings, but this guy got busted.....

I have seen time and time again rorting of the system and fisheries not being able to do anything as their hands are tied behind their back because of a loop hole. That many loop holes it is not funny.

At time of having so many pieces of flathead fillet, he mustn't of had a clear understanding of what "in your possession" means.

I am bewildered on where FILLET comes into this thread,,, the court found him guilty on "pieces",,, the report also states that he was over the "bag limit" of Goldenline Whiting,,,, but no age of the fish,,

WE in Qld also CONFISCATE boat/car/trailer/gear,,, believe me,,, I have actually sat and been a respondent in one of these cases

What I'm trying to say here,,,, its funny how most replies are throwing the book at this perpetrator,,,but the FLATHEAD SIDE OF THE SENTENCE WAS BASED ON "BAIT",,, hence why he got a smaller fine

once more,,, our "legal" system failed,,,, because the "offending" items were "counted",,, but not kept,,, the judiciary had no option but a lower end fine

1 Z Man Plasic,,,,,, ????????????
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    Say he had way over half a tonne of fish..
    Must have been driving a refrigerated truck/van.

Hardly a rec fishos setup.

Dan
    Dan, going by this..
    "The fisherman had 2915 pieces of flathead fillet in his boat when he was intercepted by inspectors in August last year."
    That to me appears they got him while still in his boat..

The wording is rather poor in the article too. "pieces of flathead fillet" could mean a number of things. Who knows for sure they were all flathead fillets even.

I think he may have just caught between himself and whoever the whole 98 whiting over the 8 wks and tried to make it home with them.. As for the flatties, whether it was 3000 or 300 chopped up 10 times.. its just ridiculous

Deano

Choppa and Kingcray are right the article is rubbish.

Choppa, what does it matter what age the Summer whiting are? There is a 23cm size limit and a in possession limit of 30. I admit, QLD fisheries need to pony up and sort their sh!t out with the use of the word "bag" in their writing. How long has it been an in possession limit? And bag limit is still all over the fisheries website. Even if it is just for the members of other states that grow up under the daily bag limit rules. Just a google of Goldline Whiting shows a "bag" limit. http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_15013.htm

I am not condoning this to ANY degree as it is obviously an intent to flaunt the law, but fisheries need to get some professionalism and fast.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I think we are all arguing about semantics here, the guy got done for more than what he was allowed for. Again this is a common thing for tourists coming back from the gulf country and from far north, majority just don't get caught.

No sympathy from me and good on the fisheries for catching the guy.

Disgusting stuff, the fine is substantial but not enough IMO. Keep in mind though that this is one bad example of an unlicenced fisher being greedy. Not a true Rec fisher, shouldn't be refered to as a "Rec Fisher" at all because he is not, but a pro without a licence. The commercial catch makes this look like loose change and goes on day and day out. I think I heard 65 tonnes of fish through the Sydney fish market daily. Easy to see why the fish stocks are struggling, makes me feel sick.

Make me even more sick when I see our local seafood supplier dump tray and trays of reef and other fish fillets on a regular basis being excess to sales.

Quote: "SFM sells around 2700 crates at every auction, or 65 tonnes of fresh seafood every day".
    Every Day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Choppa and Kingcray are right the article is rubbish.

Choppa, what does it matter what age the Summer whiting are? There is a 23cm size limit and a in possession limit of 30. I admit, QLD fisheries need to pony up and sort their sh!t out with the use of the word "bag" in their writing. How long has it been an in possession limit? And bag limit is still all over the fisheries website. Even if it is just for the members of other states that grow up under the daily bag limit rules. Just a google of Goldline Whiting shows a "bag" limit. http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_15013.htm

I am not condoning this to ANY degree as it is obviously an intent to flaunt the law, but fisheries need to get some professionalism and fast.
    As quoted from Recreational fishing rules for Queensland
    A brief guide
    2011–2012 (current as of 1 February 2012)

A bag limit (take and possession limit) is the total number of fish that one person can legally take and keep at any one time.

A ‘bag limit’ refers to the total number of fish an individual can legally take and have in their possession at any one time—it does not apply on a per day basis. This includes the fish you have caught previously that are in your freezer at home.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcray View Post
    Should be 100k + ALL the fishing gear he owns at least. Time to get serious against these maggots.
    Agreed. Plus put him in jail until he eats them all, raw. He'll never look at a flathead again...
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

That is an interesting point though about the bait aspect. I'm sure most of us at one point or another have turned a legal catch in to bait, one fish chopped up could suddenly put you over the limit based on this.

Angler fined 10K over bag limit breaches

Posted April 25, 2012 08:55:45
    Map: Bowen 4805

A recreational fisherman has been fined $10,000 in a north Queensland court after pleading guilty to possessing excessive amounts of fish.
    The fisherman was intercepted by Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol officers on the Bruce Highway near Bowen and had his vehicle searched.
    He was found in possession of nearly 3,000 pieces of flathead fillet.

The legal bag limit is five.
    He also had 98 whiting, nearly three times as much as the legal bag limit permits.

the story is getting more and more diverse,,, initially he was picked up at the ramp,,,, now it's on the Bruce Highway,,,, the picture of the catch has the "pieces/fillets " laid out in rows of 10,,,, and there's under 1000 in the pic,,,, 99% of all media reports are word for word (copy/pasted) except for this one that I can find,,, and its too early to read the actual court hearing as they take ages to post,,, Once more however he is guilty and pleaded guilty,,,, the above reports and all others that I have read fail to say if the "pieces/fillets" where stored in an esky, in such as manner that would "presume" were for consumption or crab bait,,, and even though I have enlarged the pic as much as I can,,, I don't see any whole fish (whiting) which going via the reports one would again presume where not part of the "pieces/fillets"????

$10,000.00 fine,,, he'll offer to pay it off,,, $1.00 a week for the next 20 years
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE