Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: container ship, what container ship?

container ship, what container ship?

hi all. so, hands up whoever has run into a container ship. i was going to put up a poll but think it would be somewhat exclusive. i was talking to brett the other night and he told me he was a little disappointed he hadn't copped a pasting yet. so, here goes mate: brett (just cause) let a very hairy moggy out of the bag at the banks m&g last saturday night. apparently whilst studying a blip on his newly acquired radar he nudged into a container ship. now i thought that other than for weather, the primary function of a radar is to locate (and hopefully avoid) other vessels. i could be wrong as there was a lot of laughing going on and there was copious amounts of alcohol going on too, but i think the blip on his radar actually was the container ship. please correct me if i'm wrong brett.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Re: container ship, what container ship?

Seriously this has to be a Joke.....

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    hi all. so, hands up whoever has run into a container ship. i was going to put up a poll but think it would be somewhat exclusive. i was talking to brett the other night and he told me he was a little disappointed he hadn't copped a pasting yet. so, here goes mate: brett (just cause) let a very hairy moggy out of the bag at the banks m&g last saturday night. apparently whilst studying a blip on his newly acquired radar he nudged into a container ship. now i thought that other than for weather, the primary function of a radar is to locate (and hopefully avoid) other vessels. i could be wrong as there was a lot of laughing going on and there was copious amounts of alcohol going on too, but i think the blip on his radar actually was the container ship. please correct me if i'm wrong brett.
    Sounds like an RACQ add

No joke I heard it to. I can just see it now - Bret talking to his deckie "dont worry about that, it's just a dirt spot on my new radar screen"....
    We all nearly pissed ourselfs when we heard this story.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

For real? How do you even come out unscathed from hitting a container ship? Sounds like a Jessica Watson episode! hahahahhahhahah

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    Seriously this has to be a Joke.....
    sometimes fact is way funnier than fiction

Was the container ship ok?

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Was the container ship ok?
    that is an unknown. i believe it was a hit and run.

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    that is an unknown. i believe it was a hit and run.
    At least it wasn't a bright pink boat like Jessica's bit hard to miss that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy247 View Post
    At least it wasn't a bright pink boat like Jessica's bit hard to miss that one.
    You keep talking about jessica's boat. Have i missed something or are you jelouse becasue you dont have a pink boat???

Jessica Watson's first big effort to sail around the world saw her run into a container ship. FAIL.

A few years ago, Mr Ausfish, Rakinray and myself and two others, (two boats) were anchored at a spot we have near the Measured Mile.
    A summer storm came across the bay, and we coped it for a good half hour, as the storm was subsiding, we looked towards moreton to see this huge ship heading our way through the misty rain, as we were on the edge of the shipping channel, we didnt give much thought to it, but some time later we looked again and he was heading straight for us.
    We kept thinking that he's going to read-a-just his course soon, as he was heading towards redcliffe, but this did not happen.
    We were in a mates 625 with a electric anchor, and it too for ever to come up, we ever though about letting the anchor right out and reversing back as far as we could, but though wiser and kept the anchor coming up.
    By the time we had it up and the motor in full reverse, the ship passed so close we could nearly touch the rivets, the other boat was on the other side and well clear, but they though we were toast.
    As he passed he adjusted course and headed towards the river.
    Charleville had bolted before the storm hit, luckly or he could have been mixed up in the mellee also.
    Last edited by webby; 24-04-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: edit

thanks davo . yep is true watching radar screen can in one hand smoke in the other trying to work out what the blip could be . then bang drifted straight into it . started motor and got out of there as quick as i could . probly should have been looking out the other side of the boat . radar was spot on .
    and i suppose no one has swiped a beacon in the river either .

so who's coming fishing now .?????

thanks dave remember i am following you tomorrow . if your lucky i'll let harry drive . he normally tells me when a ship is coming .

Quote Originally Posted by just cause View Post
    ....trying to work out what the blip could be . .
    Um, er, shouldn't the "blip" have looked like the great wall of China by the time you were close enough to bang into it?

Or is your boat a bit biggish and your radar is mounted higher than those little steel sides those ships have?

😄😄

Sorry.... Can't help having fun with this.... You'll get plenty of chances to have a dig back at me... I am averaging a silly mistake a week at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy247 View Post
    For real? How do you even come out unscathed from hitting a container ship? Sounds like a Jessica Watson episode! hahahahhahhahah
    not realy unscathed . i told netmaker
    not to mention the mental trauma (but that might have already been there)