Thread: Tweed Heads Bar advice?

Tweed Heads Bar advice?

Hey guys did an overnighter in the Tweed last night (awesome conditions with full moon) and then headed out through the bar this morning. had to pick our way through the swell this morning but it went ok. We are only newish to bar crossings as we have been fishing offshore from Sydney for many years where the whole bar crossing problem doesnt really exist. Anyway we trolled around the 9 mile that was heavily breaking on at least a 2m swell... No good on the lures so drifted around a bit for a few reef fish which are about to hit the bbq. Anyway did anyone else come thru the bar as it was pretty wild and we thought we were fine sitting on the back of our chosen wave until the wave coming from the south took over and nearly rollled us until i was able to kinda correct us and get thru safely. Im looking for advice and knowledge on the tweed bar and any general info as well. I have spoken to a couple of locals about it and know bits and pieces like hanging more to the north and then darting north once thru (depending on conditions because this wasnt possible this morning). Anyway any advice would be appreciated and also thanks to the guys in the Trojan that came in after us for stopping and giving us a few tips as they came thru "better" than us hugging the north wall by about 20 feet more than us. Anyway thanks in advance for any info and also did anyone get any fish on the troll today it seemed pretty dead???

Re: Tweed Heads Bar advice?

My Advice is to watch as many bar crossing on this Bar and come to your own decision on whats best for you.

This Bar changes all the time. I set my own limits for this bar.... and these limits differ significantly for run in and run out tides.

ATM it is possible that if you head directly north once outside the walls you maybe cleaned up by waves as there is a shallow bank in this area.
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Treat this bar with respect, a mate rolled his boat on it and crossed it often.I have gone to go fishing through the Tweed, and sat at the bar and looked at it for a while, and gone home again.No fish is worth you life.Have you heard of Bill Corten,he runs bar crossing courses.

Glad you all made it back alive; 2m east swell is less than ideal for a novice on any east coast bar IMHO.

As Garry said, it all depends on the conditions at the time.
    This morning I was more to the south wall so I could get a visual on the bank about 200m out. Got the lull and shot out through past the north wall and past the shoulder of the swell kicking up on the bank.
    Coming in, I always enter from the northern side, and come in between sets sitting on the rear of the pressure waves. You always need to watch behind you as well as in front when re-entering a bar. Funnily enough, I filmed my re-entry this morning ! Managed to only have one little one stand up on me on the way in.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Thanks for all the replies guys. Great footage in that video unfortunately ours was a lot hairier than that. Did u go over that last wave intentionally or is that what u mean by it "sitting up" on you? Going back down there now to check it out today from the breakwall....

Yeah, that last one just stood up & the nose went through it.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

That bar has taken a few boats, when you are exiting the bar ive found you stick to the middle, as you get 10-20 metres past the walls head north-north-west till your out.. on entering take the same path as exiting but sit on the back of a wave, its very importent to not try and outrun the wave or lose the wave otherwise you will end up going nose into the back of the other wave or getting swamped by the wave behind. ive been out that bar many of times in a little v-nose punt and a tohatsu 18 in good and bad conditions, till i realised how stupid it was...

Personally id just stay away from it till you really understand that bar, to much water volumb coming out a small entrance...........one bar I stay away from.