Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Buyer beware springwood marine

Re: Buyer beware springwood marine

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    When you consider how much deposit these marine companies ask for these days, one would have to consider whether they may loose the lot if the company goes arse up.
    I understand this isn't on topic but it does show that your money isn't safe with the business your dealing with.
    Its easy to say in hindsight but after the last 5 years of companies going belly up and often taking peoples hard earned with them that people still hand over many tens of thousands in deposits or progress payments. When ever I buy a new engine it has to be on the floor or at lest on the premises and until its fitted to my boat no money will change hands.
    Its often easier said than done but that's my approach. There my terms, if you want the sale and my money.
    Its a one way street with most marine businesses. I mean they want you to have faith in them by holding your money and that they will deliver.
    But how about the business showing faith in the customer coming back to pay in full on delivery of the product.
    The marine industry Australia wide is the wild west at best. No matter how much paper work you have, receipts with vin numbers, if they fold and take your coin then its going to be a bloody hard fight to get it back if at all. Until legislating is introduced to better protect the consumer we will continue to see people loose there hard earned money.
    So Stuart, you wander in and order a 250 hp and say see ya next week to pick it up. What if ya get cold feet??

How much do you think your mistake is going to cost that dealer if he can't sell that engine in these current economic times??

No wonder dealers are going broke with people like you around
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Yep good point SK, wonder how many people realize to return an item like that if at all possible would incur a return delivery fee and restocking fee. A business asking for a deposit to cover these costs is not unrealistic at all.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

Ah the good old Slander threat. Guys and girls, please do not do anything that may get this thread shut down. If you don't give a reason for the Mods to shut it down AND it does get shut down, you know right there that it was closed because of threats of a civil action by a certain business owner.

Now back on topic: Let me see if I have things straight here please let me know if I have sorted the chaff from the hay.

1. So a while back an irresponsible comment by a forum member caused Katcuddy to crack it. That was absolutely justified in they eyes of many. That thread by Tin Can Marlin is still alive on the forum and IMO, if any, was justified in being deleted in full.

2. An issue was raised on the forum about the treatment of a member (20Ran) and Katcuddy did the right thing and sorted the issue ASAP, which included the offer of a free service, all in public and gained some pretty good kudos from many for the way it was handled. As a result, the thread got deleated because all parties were happy. BUT after the fact, the offer of a free service was reneged on........ I guess I am slandering here because now there is no proof that the offer was ever made.......just a few hundred members memories of reading it, a well sue me.

3. Rosco1974 refused to take delivery the outboards as he wasn't happy with the nosies coming for the outboard and it was returned to the dealer to check after refusing to sign the paperwork even though he was told it would be sorted at first service if still there by salesman.Sorry not that gulable...next day thursday he rang the finance broker and said he would cancel the finance if motor wasn't replaced with a new 1 after being told by salesman a mechanic had been working on it all day which was to 1 pm and couldn't find the problem,needed authority from suzuki to remove head,( as said by salesman) .....who would want this motor.. A new motor was fitted thursday and predelivered on friday befor another watertest which he was happy with and is still happy with...still has an issue with springwood marine with a boat problem.

4. The thread starter Macks pays for a brand new 140hp Suzuki and his boat builder books it in for fitting weeks In advance. On fitting day, boat builder is told Springwood Marine knows nothing about it. A new engine is "ordered" (no appology) and due to the owner of the engine having taken time off asks for the new engine to be delivered to the boat builder so the fitting can be done ASAP. The manager quotes the VIN number of an engine that was refused MONTHS earlier, to the customer that has paid for a NEW engine. The "new" engine is delivered to the boat builder lying face down on a pallet with oil dripping out of it. (this is where it gets interesting because surely it would take a complete moron to deliver a "new" engine to the boat builder whilst lying down on a pallet with Sikaflex all over the mounting points). This engine turns out to be exactly the same engine that Rosco1974 had refused to accept because he thought it was dodgy. So owner blows up and demands a new engine to be delivered (no apology ). This engine turns out to be exactly the same engine that Rosco1974 had refused to accept because he thought it was dodgy. New engine arrives without a wiring harness, owner again has to chase it up and is told it WAS delivered with the new engine. After a bit, Springwood Marine realises they have stuffed up AGAIN and they actually do have the wiring harness and it was never delivered in the first place AND still no apology....all the while the owner of the engine has wasted his week off work, chasing around for something that should have been done properly in the first place instead of fishing.

Have I got this right so far?

Macks
    Rosco
    20 Ran

Please PM me if I have got ANY of this wrong so I may edit my post.

Edited to paraphrase Rosco for clarity.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    So Stuart, you wander in and order a 250 hp and say see ya next week to pick it up. What if ya get cold feet??

How much do you think your mistake is going to cost that dealer if he can't sell that engine in these current economic times??

SK I don't think the problem here is dealers or customers. The problem is solvency laws that are in place. If dealers were required to run trust accounts for customers deposits so they didn't get screwed and contract law allowed dealers to keep those deposits if tyre kickers pulled out of the deal, all of this would never come about.

Gaz,
    I have had Stuart manufacture custom gear for me 3 separate times now, and have never paid, or been asked too, until the goods were completed to his, and my, high standard.

People who are confident that their work will be accepted by their customer don't need the cash up front.

I have read this thread from start to finish, I have no interest in Springwood Marine, (in fact I have only been in their yard once, and the sales men ignored me in the yard also so I walked out), but it certainly would appear that they are not doing too much right in this small industry.
    The owners second reply smacks of arrogance, and ignorance of how to survive in a service industry. In the current economic environment, I would be doing all I could to provide service that would have people singing my praises.

Bad news travels fast.......

I hope the mentioned issues get resolved to the customers satisfaction, and that SM can regain a good reputation.

Cheers,
    Myles
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power

Quote Originally Posted by Katcaddy View Post
    Some of you seem to enjoy this, the accusation has been made that you have paper work with a serial number, show me or I will prove you to be a liar however never let the truth get in the way of a good story. And Rossco, I look forward to you calling me. Well done mate, you obviously are missing something in your life, look forward to catching up. It's about time you guys had a good look at yourselves, what I do know is that intelligent people make their own decisions and are not influenced by slander!
    Hahaha wow you are not doing yourself an favours mate. I really think you need to take a hard look at your business and what is going on around you. With an attitude like yours it is no wonder the industry is struggling seems to me you are lacking something in life "Good Business sense" time's are tough yes but it is how you respond to an issue with an attitude like this is. I know there is alway's 2 side's to a story so and you guy's work with really thin margin's but this is the industry you are in. It is no wonder people are looking overseas now to buy a boat. All I will say is let's get this over with. I am a big supporter of te aussie boat market. If I was the owner of your business I would have pulled this thread up ages ago and sorted this instead of reacting the way you are when someone has a dig at you about some thing that has happened within your business. Makes you wonder how and what went on to let it get this far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post

2. An issue was raised on the forum about the treatment of a member (20Ran) and Katcuddy did the right thing and sorted the issue ASAP, which included the offer of a free service, all in public and gained some pretty good kudos from many for the way it was handled. As a result, the thread got deleated because all parties were happy. BUT after the fact, the offer of a free service was reneged on........ I guess I am slandering here because now there is no proof that the offer was ever made.......just a few hundred members memories of reading it, a well sue me.
    The post in question was deleted due to allegations made and no reply with evidence being given by the requested time.

As far as we were aware the offer of a free service had been made and honoured.

The post has been reinstated
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...arine-problems

Posts are never completely deleted, they are just not visible by everyone.
    Last edited by Ausfish; 24-04-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post

Geeze Gary - let's not make this personal. Stuarts viewpoint is a valid point. In this day and age you take a huge risk paying either a substantial deposit - often Many 1000's of your hard earned and saved $$$ or in full for an item such as an outboard motor.

WE have all heard the stories of lost deposits and dreams going down the drain because of businesses going bankrupt - often after taking payment for goods that they knew the customer would never see.

You can't get insurance for that - your money is just gone.......

I am a manager for a large trailer company and we take deposits for special orders/custom work. However something stock standard - we can always sell to another customer if the orginal customer reneggs. - That's just retail 101

If you run your business not trusting customers - you won't be in business very long.

Mark.

lovey , i refused to take delivery the outboards as i wasn't happy with the nosies coming for the outboard and it was returned to the dealer to check after refusing to sign the paperwork even though i was told it would be sorted at first service if still there by salesman.sorry not that gulable...next day thursday i rang the finance broker and said i would cancel the finance if motor wasn't replaced with a new 1 after being told by salesman a mechanic had been working on it all day which was to 1 pm and couldn't find the problem,needed authority from suzuki to remove head,( as said by salesman) .....who would want this motor.. A new motor was fitted thursday and predelivered on friday befor another watertest which i was happy with and am still happy with...not a motor issue with springwood marine its a boat problem

Quote Originally Posted by fisho8 View Post
    Makes you wonder how and what went on to let it get this far.
    In the previous thread with the the free (now renaged on) service, I got villified by some for suggesting that the unverified stamping of a blank logbook for services not provided was not good practice or process and I questioned the companys entire attitude. I didn't consider the free service on its own to be sufficient. Things happen for a reason and sadly the events which have occured in this thread come as no surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by Katcaddy View Post
    Some of you seem to enjoy this, the accusation has been made that you have paper work with a serial number, show me or I will prove you to be a liar however never let the truth get in the way of a good story. And Rossco, I look forward to you calling me. Well done mate, you obviously are missing something in your life, look forward to catching up. It's about time you guys had a good look at yourselves, what I do know is that intelligent people make their own decisions and are not influenced by slander!
    Yeah - way to defend your business, with professional integrity - NOT!! Mate, you are not doing yourself any favours here. Stop beating around the bush and do the right thing. you need to make a sound business decision here - not an open slather personal attack. - Get the emotion out of it and deal with the issues.

You haven't even addressed the issue of renegging on old mate with his free service - that would be a good place to start.

I might have to go out and get some chips and plonk. With a whole public holiday in front of us tomorrow and which happens to have the worst boating weather this week, this thread is gonna be a beauty tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ausfish View Post
    The post in question was deleted due to allegations made and no reply with evidence being given by the requested time.

As far as we were aware the offer of a free service had been made and honoured.

The post has been reinstated
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...arine-problems

Posts are never completely deleted, they are just not visible by everyone.
    Thanks Steve, fantasic response. I thought that it was deleted on request from 20ran.

Just an interesting Cut and paste from a post by Katcaddy back in 2008:--
    I would like to thank TCM for his apology, i also appreciate the comments of other members be it good or bad. A number of our staff are members of this site and contribute on a regular basis so you can imagine thier concerns when they read the thread, apart from bieng a business owner i also fish and have been a big supporter of this forum, if at any time a member has an issue with our business i welcome them to call me direct, we will never get it right every time however if we stuff up please let me know and i will personally take care of it. Thanks again to TCM for his apology, i am going to let the matter rest and go fishing.

I would really hope that you remain true to your word in "appreciating the comments of other members be it good or bad" and in fixing stuff ups personally

I guess we will see.

Mark

As I have said they sent out a mechanic the day he offered the free service they said that the next service would be free it was not to be they gave me a free hour service. I can post up my receipt that I paid for the service. I never wanted the post to be deleted but I never wanted a free service either just wanted it done properly. I can show you my service book as well where they have stamped they have done all the servicing to my motor and pre delivery which Cunningham marine did. I think that is wrong but what do you do I'm not fussing but I have herd a lot of bad things about the company so I dropped the subject moved on and now will never step a foot in there yard or ever recommend them to anyone burnt once never again and plus there service desk lady was rude as to me from the start but when I went to pay for the service that avo they were all nice as punch to me but still had to pay for the service