Thread: NIght fishing for Whiting on the new moon?

NIght fishing for Whiting on the new moon?

I've only just moved to the Brisbane area and have found something fascinating re whiting. I'm from CQ originally where we tend to get all our big night whiting (in my experience) on the full moon. I've heard though that you get corker whiting here on the new moon at night. Is this right? Seemed a little foreign to me, though worth a try if its true.

Re: NIght fishing for Whiting on the new moon?

interesting concept

Hello acronin,

I dont think there are many fishos on here that fish at night, mostly day fishos. I'm sure you will get a positive reply before too long.

Bondy

Not too sure about up that way, but we fish for big Whiting at night on any moon, don't seem to notice any difference in catch rates, I just fish when the tide suits the time I want to fish, and almost all big ones are caught on Nippers/Yabbies/whatever you call them up there.

Acronin, i can assure you down here on the Gold Coast it makes no difference what so ever, especially now that spawning has finished.

Even during spawning time when they tend to congregate in big numbers the moon phase makes little difference.

However over the past few years have noticed that for 1 night around the full and new moon the whiting will actually be harder to catch, this seems to be because the fish that are spawning are more interested in making little whiting than they are feeding.

Other than that with the right bait and the right technique you can go out and catch whiting every day of the year, cheers wayne

technique, what technique - isnt it as simple as dropping bait in the right place and waiting?

Depends if you want to fish or you want to catch, big difference, cheers wayne

Do a bit of reaserch on this site and others and you will find how, where, when and with what {blood worms,jellyprawns,small yabbies]

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice so far.

The majority of the whiting fishing I've done over the years has been during the day, run-in tide, shallow water using yabbies/worms. In winter though, on the cold, still full moon nights I've targetted the bigger whiting and done quite well as well. I'd assumed this had something to do with the extra light at night from the moon given that whiting tend to feed on sight. So it was bit of a surprise when I heard that some anglers in SEQ get good whiting on the new moon night tides and wondered if anyone else heard the same, or actively targets whiting over these night tides .

Either way, I think it might be something worth trying as we move into winter. Can't hurt, and night on the water in the boat is always a good thing.