Thread: Glenlyon Dam

Glenlyon Dam

A group of us are going there for the Labour Day long weekend. I was wondering if anyone has caugt cod or yella's there lately. We were there last year at this time and caught some fat yellas on live baits. Found them in shallow water way up the dam but not towards the caves, etc where a lot go. Didn't have much luck with lures but didn't persevere a lot either. I was also wondering if you have to go down to the river for shrimp. Any news out there on the fishing generally for the area.

Re: Glenlyon Dam

I would also be very interested to know how things are going there at Glenlyon dam. A few of us are considering going there for a fishing trip in the near future. It would be great to know what's in and what's out and where to go and so on.

Cheers,
    Doug.

Guys - There's plenty of yellas about and i know they are catching a few cod in the river but dont know about the dam.

We are going up there on May 17 for 4 days. We stay on a property nearby and do a bit of deer hunting in the morning and fishing in the afternoon.

Please post some reports if anyone goes up befor us.

Last year at this time we were boating 20-40 yellas in an hour on live shrimp around standing timber. Didn't really matter where. If they went off the bit we just moved to another tree. Dropped a BIG cod on lures up around the caves. Lost him boatside.

Brett

hey Greyfox
    i will be there this weekend look for the big aus fish sticker on the boat i have only been there 1 time before for a day trip got some good yellas give brian a call at the camp ground he is very helpfull i dont know about the shrimp i catch mine in a creek near home before we go im looking forward to a night troll

We came home from the dam yesterday and had a good weekend as usual. Fair numbers of reasonable yellas but the undersize silvers were in almost plague numbers. Good news for next year I suppose. Most of the fish were caught on shrimp which are plentiful in the dam if you drop your traps just outside the weed edges. The fish were caught close to the bottom around trees from the top of the dam all the way down and aroung to the west. Some cod on lures but none bigger than 50 cms. amongst our group. We didn't see anyone else with a legal size cod either. Hard body lures were the go as spinnerbaits just weren't attracting them. The guy who owns T & T at Warwick was working the spinnerbaits with no luck either. Take some hardwood for the fire as it is starting to really cool down at night. I'm off to fish the reefs around Lady Elliot Island on Friday for a few days so I'll post a report when I get back next week.

hey greyfox
    we did allright 29 yellas and undersize cod to 55 cm on bait only the old boys in my boat were hopless with lures so didnt do a lot of lure work next time

Gents,
    you guys had all the luck. Once the weather turned cold after the full moon - the place just shut down. We put three days in on the dam and didn't land a yella or a cod. Everyone was doing it tough. hunting was great but fishing was very very very poor.
    Brett