Thread: Weipa Trip - 20 May to 24 May 2012

Weipa Trip - 20 May to 24 May 2012

Hi All,

Anyone out there heading to Weipa in late May ?

My Brother (19) & I (32) have planned a trip to Weipa fishing from Sunday 20 May through to Thursday 24 May 2012. Both of us recently did a fully guided trip to Weipa in July 2011 & I have been on 2 trips prior to this.

This time we are staying at the Caravan Park & have hired out a 4.5m Polycraft with 60hp & will be exploring the waterways ourselves. We have a few GPS marks & are relatively familar with the areas we want to target but any advice from more experienced anglers would be most welcome. Even better, if anyone has a similar plan for that week then please get in touch & it would be great to catch up on the water & maybe share a few beers at night.

All the best,

Guy

Re: Weipa Trip - 20 May to 24 May 2012

Hi Guy,
    we had a crew that went last year, save time as you have planned. We stayed at caravan park also but ventured further up to Pennyfather & Stones crossing, supposed to be great fishing but we didn't do well. We were told by the locals the big tides & full moon are not good for fishing up there, fish the bottom of the low tides is best, wish we found that out before we ventured up there. We had friends at Weipa and they said there are a few hungry crocs under the bridges on way to Pennyfather, near the boat ramps.

We fished Jackey Jackey creek near Bamaga, absolutely insane fishing spot, fingermark everywhere. We went with local mate & he put us on the money straight up.

Great place, every time we look at the photos, just want to go back.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Guy Give me a call before you leave or when you get up there and I will give you some marks of any productive spots (if I find any) as we will be on our way home by the time you are about to head up there. Cheers Kev. 0408 848 564.

Thanks Marvin that would be awesome ! Will definitely give you a call.

Good luck up there.....hope u get some good weather & they are biting for you.

Guy