Thread: Double hook rig for whole fish or squid

Double hook rig for whole fish or squid

Terminal surf/rock-wall Tackle Rigs?
    What is a good double hook rig, say a couple of 5/0 for a whole squid or mullet in the surf?

When I try double hook rigs like sliding snell, the upper hook slips and allows the bait to bend and bunch up, same with squid.

Don't see the point in the sliding snell since the upper hook is really the one that should take the weight.

I often revert to gangs in the surf and even off rock walls because I cannot get a decent enough rig together with two circles that wont bunch up my bait or fall off in rough surf or after a few casts.

Shock leader surf/rock wall rigs?
    I have found the Slim Beauty to be a good shock leader knot;easily tied quickly on the spot and you cant feel it pass through the guides on cast.
    Next I will give the Sebile knot a crack, since the "chinese finger cuff" method has always appealed to me because of its lack of a heavy knot passing through the guides.

The sebile looks a lot lighter than the FG, I found the FG too thick and you could feel it hit the leaders (though I may need to perfect it)

BTW I have also discovered the hidden peril of Spectra braid, it is quite slippery and if your knot if not %100 and I mean %100 efficient, it will simply come loose in time.
    The nature of the material does not make it the best knot tying braid IMO, but just something to keep in mind when tying.
    I know a lot of people use adhesive, though with tension knots it goes against the purpose of the knot as you need to knot to be able to contract/move under strain.

Cheers

Dan

Re: Double hook rig for whole fish or squid

I dont like gang hooks, so I tie a short bit of leader to each size hook that I use. I also do not snell my hooks. It just depends on what size baits I am fishing.

Why not snell or snood the top hook tight into position and let the trailing hook be placed in a good location?
    I have never seen any real benefit of sliding top hooks.

I have also been toying with using large worm hooks for squid baits and rigging them similar to a plastic, would certainly be worth a shot.
    Jack.

Hi Dan.

This may be hard to explain.

I use a modified snell, probably not a snell, for my 2 hook livey rig. Doesn't move.
    I also use this first knot for all my hooks. Boat, beach, whiting to tailor and snapper.
    Hasn't failed yet.

You need both ends of the leader. This can't be tied if there is a swivel already on 1 end.

Bottom hook. Leader 1/2 inch thru the hook eye from the back. Hold this 1/2 inch against the shaft of the hook and wrap the leader around the shaft and the 1/2 inch about 7 or 8 times. Pass the leader thru the front of the eye and pull tight. The harder the fish pulls, the tighter this knot gets.

Second hook. Put the leader thru the front of this hook eye, leaving a bait distance between the 2 hooks.
    Hold the bottom piece of leader against the hook shaft and wrap the rest of the leader around the shaft and leader 7 or 8 times . Pass the end of the leader thru the front of the eye and pull tight.

Confused?. So am I and I've had a couple.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Sliding snell is a great knot.

But, its not easy. Infact i buy mine for 4bux a piece as mine a crap. May sound expensive but they are on 1.6meter traces and i simply cut the bottom treble off (trolling only) and tie on a new one. I attach the trace to a 16 foot wind on leader.

We are only really getting fish between 3-6 kgs with the ocasional 8 kg though. Most hookups come on the bottom hook (downrigging).

When fishing big fish spots we crimp. 15 kgs of kingie and 100lb braid locked down requires it.

Like the slim beauty tied with a double. Fished a sliding snell heaps and have a good pro knot that works well but would have to show it to you. Found tying a fixed snell a bit longer between the hooks works just as well IMO

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Why not snell or snood the top hook tight into position and let the trailing hook be placed in a good location?
    I have never seen any real benefit of sliding top hooks.

I have also been toying with using large worm hooks for squid baits and rigging them similar to a plastic, would certainly be worth a shot.
    Yeah I have some large worm hooks, I bought them mostly for large worms and grub plastics.

The trouble with them is they are made specifically for worm plastics.

A squid might thread on ok, though you have to bend the bait up so it straightens out sitting right on the hook, easy done with plastic worms, bit harder with squishy bait
    ,,lets us know how it goes.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowrascal View Post
    I dont like gang hooks, so I tie a short bit of leader to each size hook that I use. I also do not snell my hooks. It just depends on what size baits I am fishing.
    Gangs are ok for Tailor I reckon, but for other fish I have lost a lot on the first run with gangs, they don't seem to hook up as well as a couple of well placed singles.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by snapperdan View Post
    Sliding snell is a great knot.

But, its not easy. Infact i buy mine for 4bux a piece as mine a crap. May sound expensive but they are on 1.6meter traces and i simply cut the bottom treble off (trolling only) and tie on a new one. I attach the trace to a 16 foot wind on leader.

We are only really getting fish between 3-6 kgs with the ocasional 8 kg though. Most hookups come on the bottom hook (downrigging).

When fishing big fish spots we crimp. 15 kgs of kingie and 100lb braid locked down requires it.
    Sliding snell is probably better suited to dropping down live squid or yakkas from a boat.

In the surf you do not really want anything sliding other than your sinker, my sliding rigs in the surf slide when I don't want them to, due to currents and waves knocking it around.

Might try fixed rig.

Dan

The Wire Knot & making a livebait trace
    There have been a few questions about how I go about attaching the wire between the hooks of the 2 hook rig. I was using a uni knot but I’ve been testing a new knot over the last few weeks and now that I’ve caught some nice fish on it I’m quite happy to recommend it. I can’t remember if I read about it somewhere or if I came up with it on my own so we’ll just call the the Figure 8 knot for now. Its quite simple and very strong but there are a few caveats. You must use nylon coated multistrand wire and the strength needs to be 30lb and above, any lighter and it will likely fail. You must also test it by hooking it up to a bar and giving it a hard pull, if the wire was kinked during the knot cinching it will break, otherwise it will be solid as a rock. Its worth noting that all my traces are tested with heavy load prior to bagging, that way you know the trace wont fail when you’ve got a fish on.
    Step 1. Tying the figure 8 knot.
    Cut about 20cm of wire. Thread the wire through the eye of the hook then bring it back along the incoming wire, loop it around the wire then thread it back through the loop you created close to the eye of the hook. Once you’ve done that it should look like the picture below.

Tighten up the loop by pulling on both the incoming wire and the tag end and it should look like the picture below. Cut the tag end leaving about 3mm of tag. Ensure that you slide the knot down the right hand side as shown in the picture below. This will be the eye the mono gets attached to.

Tie another figure 8 knot to the hook on the other end of the wire. Test both knots by hooking it onto something and giving it hard pull. Once finished it should look like the picture below. That is the wire section completed. Ideally it should be between 10 & 15cm long for pike, 7-10cm for slimies & yellowtail.

Cut about 45cm of 40-50lb mono, using a uni knot attach it to the top hook making sure that it is tied to the left of the wire and tie a swivel on the other end also with a uni knot. Your trace should now be completed, test the trace under load before bagging. Your completed trace should look like the picture below.

Once completed and tested all my traces are placed into ziplock bags showing hook size, intended bait use, wire and mono strength.

permission to use this artical from another forum.

I'm a big believer in gangs but having a good quality swivel between them which prevents the hooks from jamming with big baits, I personally like the true turns. I have caught stuff like big gt's and haven't had the rig fail yet. IMO!!!!

Cheers from boony
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"