Thread: exceeding rod line class rating

exceeding rod line class rating

hey guys, what are your thoughts about using braid thats over and above the recommended line class for the rod. For example i plan to use a 20 to 30lb rated rod with a reel loaded with 50lb braid for reefies. Am i asking for trouble. Would 40lb be safer. I guess the risk is i brake my rod which given how much it cost, is somethng i want to avoid. This is assumming the braid is correctly rated too.

Just thought i would ask the question.

Cheers

Re: exceeding rod line class rating

I reckon most of us here overline our gear. I think 90% of mine are using braid with breaking strains in excess of the rod rating. As an example, I have a 20kg rod with 37kg braid on it or my 2-5kg rod has 7kg braid on one of the reels. Quite normal. Set the drag right and you won't have a problem.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    I reckon most of us here overline our gear. I think 90% of mine are using braid with breaking strains in excess of the rod rating. As an example, I have a 20kg rod with 37kg braid on it or my 2-5kg rod has 7kg braid on one of the reels. Quite normal. Set the drag right and you won't have a problem.

Steve
    yeah thanks steve. i generally do too but not as much as i now plan. for reefies the drag will quite high actually.

p.s hows that new boat going? Have you received it yet. Its still being advertised i believe.

Si

The new boat is here and getting some magic touches put to it and sorting out some trailer issues. I wil post up some photos and report once it is done. The one advertised is another one, not mine (I hope).

Re your rod with 50lb on it, you will have to be working really hard to break a 20-30lb rod due to line pressure. It will be due pilot error (ie high sticking, dropping it on a sharp edge, falling on it, jamming it in car door or putting it into a fan)

Steve

Id say your main issue may be keeping the fish out of the reef. If the rod is a bit soft to fish 50lb well that extra give may be enough for the few extra inches the fish needs to bury you.

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    Id say your main issue may be keeping the fish out of the reef. If the rod is a bit soft to fish 50lb well that extra give may be enough for the few extra inches the fish needs to bury you.
    yes exactly mate. i wont be holding back trying to keep them clear of the reef which is why i asked the question. its a fast taper 30lb so not too soft which is good.

I have a lot of set ups with heavier braid than the rod rating. I do this as line capacity is not an issue so I give myself a little security blanket in heavier braid. But I make sure I set my drag right to suit the rod, not the line. In your case it sounds like you are taking a big risk and I would not do it.

I'm running 50lb pe3 braid on my 4500 Saltiga with a Egrell Bear Essentials rod. The rod's rated 8-15kg and the Saltiga has a 10kg drag so i pretty much lock the drag up knowing the rod shouldn't go "Bang".

I could of gone with a PE2 35lb braid which would suit the combo better but then i would of had to run a fair bit of backing under the braid so i just went with the 50lb.

cheers tim

If your rod looks like breaking point it at the fish with just a little less pressure on it and let the reel do the work.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by TIM D View Post
    I'm running 50lb pe3 braid on my 4500 Saltiga with a Egrell Bear Essentials rod. The rod's rated 8-15kg and the Saltiga has a 10kg drag so i pretty much lock the drag up knowing the rod shouldn't go "Bang".

I could of gone with a PE2 35lb braid which would suit the combo better but then i would of had to run a fair bit of backing under the braid so i just went with the 50lb.

cheers tim
    Gee Tim, I reckon that 10kg of drag on a 15kg stick is asking for trouble. On fast moving fish I normally don't exceed 1/3 of the rod rating for my drag settings. I might go to 1/2 of slower bruisers like Cod but 10kg seems to be pushing the friendship a bit. Even at 50% I will keep my rod tip low when the fish lunges or runs
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Horse like i said i pretty much lock the drag up but don't fully lock it up. I probably run around 6-7kg of drag most the time and i do try and keep the rod fairly low to the water so i don't accidently high stick it during the excitment of the fight. Im pretty sure the Egrells are rated a bit under there full potential too.

I used to push my Egrell Bear s2's pretty hard on big bay Snaps and never snapped one, so i think there pretty strong rods

cheers tim

You can check out how hard i used to push my old Egrell Bear s10-H with Sol 4000. The Sol 4000's have like 8kg of drag and i used to fish the drag almost locked up, still got frequently smoked

cheers tim